How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Unstable iMac Pro

Swapped the mouse; the old 16,000 dpi mouse feels like the PT8 HD system I've got, as in, one big move I can get right across a 27" screen; the 20,000 dpi mouse needed two

Other than that, the machine seems mostly the same for editing - it feels like the initial 1-2 hours that the machine is on, it's functioning fine, then it becomes crappy... although the hardware on the iMac checks out, there's no indication that the machine is getting hot, and my studio is air-conditioned, so well within the range for the machine.

For renders, I now disable the metering plugin and the iMac Pro renders crazy fast, which is what I always expected.

Today I had a crash after I left a session open on the iMac while I had a meeting with a visitor to the studio, when I came back, the iMac was barely responsive. I managed to save and then had to force quit PT, and once that was done, the mouse itself in Finder was wonky. On Shutdown, the dock now doesn't completely drop down, it lowers a bit and then the iMac goes black and it restarts.

I'm kinda clutching at straws now. I have a 2010 MacPro on 10.6 running PT8 and I want to have a reliable backup should the 2010 MacPro one day decide not to wake up. Right now, the 21.5 inch iMac is the candidate for the job because it's stable with PT, but the screen is too small. I'm tempted to get a normal iMac in 27" form, get PT running the same way as on the 21.5 iMac and sell off the iMac Pro. Grrrrr!