Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2005, 03:14 PM

Default SCSI vs Firewire vs SATA

Coming from the Old School (PT 5.3.1. HD3, OS 9.2, Dual 1 MHZ G4) I have used the ATTO card with 2 SCSI busses going to a Rorke Data 4 drive enclosure (2 drives per bus). With this setup I have had no problems with 96K sessions with a lot of tracks/edits and no problems with a 96 track 48K session (live concert).

As I am considering upgrading my system to a G5 HD3 Accel, I will no longer have a 4th PCI slot for a SCSI card. As I do a lot of projects at once, I need to use removeable media, so SATA seems impractical. What's the best solution out there? Should I just go for a HD2 Accel (and lose the extra processing) in order to have a slot for the SCSI card, or have you DUC experts found a way to get greeat track counts out of FireWire?