Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 06:21 PM

Default Larger Minimum File Sizes??

Does anybody know if allocating a larger minimum file size helps disk access speed?

I have Silverlining Pro, can't remember where I got it from. One of those bundled software things.

It gives the option to increase the minimum file size from 4k anywhere to 128k, explaining that the latter provides for faster access for large files.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Forever seeking solutions to the inevitable 'Disk Too Slow' error.

Simon Binks

Mac G4/400 - OS 9.9.9
512 RAM
Sonnet Temp RAID card
IBM 60 GXP 60 gig System drive
2 x 40 gig GXP 60 IDE drives in RAID
Pro Tools LE 5.2
Old 07-11-2002, 07:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: Larger Minimum File Sizes??

Quote:
Originally posted by simonjbinks:
Anybody have an opinion on this? Forever seeking solutions to the inevitable 'Disk Too Slow' error.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">RAID arrays and RAID formatting is not supported for Pro Tools audio due to the following reasons:
-The Disk Scheduler in Pro Tools is optimized for multi-stream I/O, whereas RAID is optimized for single stream I/O.

-RAID is best for high throughput, single stream applications like video and graphics, but is really not good for random seek oriented applications like Pro Tools.

-The CPU overhead required to manage the RAID (if you are using a software-based RAID) will hurt Pro Tools performance.

For best performance with Pro Tools, we recommend using the Apple Drive Setup utility to format all IDE/ATA drives.

Brent