Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Sync I/O - Machine control problems

Several days ago, I finally installed a HD system in my studio. I upgraded Mix hardware to HD, 88x interfaces to 192 and USD to sync I/O.
Since then, I have a problem with Machine control and Sony UWV 1800 Beta recorder. The situation is: I hit the play button, machine rolls back, stops at preroll point and immediately advances. When it reaches the sync point, it simply stops. When I hit play again, it repeats the whole operation and sometimes it locks and begins to play in sync and spmetimes not.
Tried to use LTC, 9-pin TC, longer, shorter preroll - no change.
Every machine in the studio is resolved to Snell&Willcox PAL B&B generator. I never had this problem with USD and now i loose a lot of time just waiting for PT to lock up.
Help
Branko
HD2
G4 500
512MB
Old 07-15-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Sync I/O - Machine control problems

We have found the best Machine Control performance when using a Keyspan 28x USB adapter. We still support the SYNC I/O's 9-pin ports as they usually work well with non-linear decks. With anything but a non-linear deck, I'd use the Keyspan 28x for best performance.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Avid

Also, if you're on OS 9.x, make sure you download Pro Tools 5.3.1cs7 which contains a few SYNC I/O and MachineControl fixes. Once installed, adjust the Minimum Sync Delay setting until you get the fastest, consistent lock. You can get the download at: http://www.digidesign.com/download/cs/531cs7/

-Jordan
Old 07-16-2003, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Wood:
We have found the best Machine Control performance when using a Keyspan 28x USB adapter. We still support the SYNC I/O's 9-pin ports as they usually work well with non-linear decks. With anything but a non-linear deck, I'd use the Keyspan 28x for best performance.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:50 AM

Ouch, I accidently hit the wrong button in the previous post, admin please delete

Quote:
I'm sorry Scott, but are you saying that Digidesign, after the USD 9-pin debacle, is again having problems with the 9-pin implementation on the SYNC I/O ? We installed a SYNC I/O only a week ago and haven't done extensive tests, but when I read your response about using a Keyspan instead, I start to have an awkward feeling about it.
Basically what your saying is: SYNC I/O has 9-pin (even 2 ports), it sometimes works, but you'd better use an old-fashioned serial connection to your mac, via a USB to serial adapter.... What is better with the Keyspan solution ?
I'll try to control an analog and digiBeta and see what happens.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 07-16-2003, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Ah.... it slowly starts to make sense.

We have 2 HD3 suites, one with AVXL, the other with an old VR Virtual Recorder (PC Based). Both Suites use the Sync I/O for machine control.

In the AVXL suite, the deck is used for load and layback, with pretty good success. However, in the second suite, the operator has a much harder time with faulty machine control, poor lockup ratios (successful/unsuccessful), and hassles in general. This includes driving the VR, which is pretty much tweaked ballistically for optimum PT performance.

We have a spare Griffin g-Port that I have considered installing, but never imagined it would be better than the Sync I/O. Would this be a better option, providing more consistent lockup and better editing control of the VR, or should we spend more money for the Keyspan?

I think I'll go ahead and throw the g-Port into the second system. But I'd still love your feedback on this issue.

Thanks

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Design
Henninger Media Services - Washington
(aka 1150 Post, silly name change!)
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 07-16-2003, 03:57 PM

Thank you all for your quick replies. I solved the situation with Keyspan dual...whatever.
It's working now, as I was used to with USD and Griffin port.
One thing worries me:
Quote:
We still support the SYNC I/O's 9-pin ports....
Does this mean Digi won't support 9-pin on SYNC I/O in the future? Or it means they won't try to fix the problem. I don't understand - is it necessary to build a machine, develop mass production scheme, sell thousands of items and only then draw conclusions about it's functionality? Couldn't that be done while the equipment was in beta testing phase? I've noticed the problem first time I tried to work!
Branko
Old 07-22-2003, 03:49 AM

Hi Branko,

I have the same issues on both my HD v5.3.3 systems and have spent a long time trying unsuccessfully to resolve them. Mine are both Windows based systems, so it's not just a Mac version issue. Does anyone know if it will be better for me to use the PC COM port instead of the Sync I/O 9-pin port?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 07-22-2003, 09:07 AM

Darkwar3,
I too went in thinking the Sync I/O 9 pin was a go, foolishly removing a keyspan adapter from my budget and my final proposal.
1 day after trying unsuccessfully to get the thing to behave "professionally", I had to go explain to my boss why I needed more money to buy a 'quick fix" for a piece of gear he had just spent $4000 on (2 systems). Yeah, it was only 100 bucks or so, but it was the principal, and the perception that I didn't do enough research that it created.

Rant Over

I don't know if the PC COM port will be better as I am MAC based, But the Keyspan serial adapter made our system rock. I have Dig Beta lock-up in under 2 seconds and V-1 lock-up in frames. And the scrub works really well too, just like you were at the deck.

Frank
Old 07-23-2003, 09:52 AM

We installed the HD SYNC i/o setup about a year ago and had problems with lockup using the Sync i/o's 9 pin ports. It seems like a farce to include an option that does not function as a professional standard.

We tried the Keyspan with a G4 933 and had problems keeping a connection with a V1. I have since tried the G-Port and had no problems since.

However, I am concered that when we make the upgrade to OSX, the G-Port will not work. I have read that it is not supported.

Has anyone tried a G-Port with OSX and PT 6 machine control?