Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Used Carbon hardware without software

I thought that If you can still able to use the software after the subscription expires it it classed as a perpetual license.

I am not sure if the Faq applies in my case as I bought the unit used and have a transferred license.

I don't see the post you mentioned and some of Mark's posts are in answer to questions from someone else.

I emailed someone from avid and they replied that I would need to renew the subscription in order to carry on using the software.

I have learning difficulties.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Why do you have the impression you would get a perpetual license?

The Pro Tools subscription license that comes with Carbon is special, well documented and discussed. e.g. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...faq/Carbon-FAQ

And Mark clearly said earlier in this thread about transfering the *subscription*.
I would argue that it's still not clear, and that Avid have tied themselves in knots with a very complex idea that they haven't thought through.

You get a license with Carbon, but it isn't necessarily a subscription. In my case, as I already had a Perpetual vanilla license that was in support, I chose to use my Carbon license as a 1-year extension to my existing support plan.
But if you choose to take the 'license' as a subscription, and never pay anything, you get a perpetual license when the first year of 'subscription' expires. That's not how a normal license behaves, only a Carbon license.

So I think it's reasonable for the OP to wonder whether the thing they have received - whether it was referred to as a 'subscription' or not - will turn into a perpetual parachute when the subsription ends. And you can be sure that it isn't clear from looking at your account as to whether that's how it will behave.

Lastly, and irrelevantly, I have no idea whether I can transfer my (generously donated by Avid after the fact) Ultimate license with Perpetual Parachute if I sell my Carbon. Or if that will disappear for the new user and they will just get a vanilla license instead. It's all pretty murky.

Dominic
Old 04-21-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
...I have no idea whether I can transfer my (generously donated by Avid after the fact) Ultimate license...
This was a Promo done last year and it's nontransferable. It's documented in https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Q/Carbon-Promo so I'll get that linked from the main Carbon FAQ to help clarify this.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:51 PM

I still find it confusing. Can I still use Pro Tools standard after the subscription ends?
Old 04-21-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickett View Post
I still find it confusing. Can I still use Pro Tools standard after the subscription ends?
Yes. Read the FAQ I linked to.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:38 AM

I read it thanks. 'The licenses are not transferrable to other user accounts' yet the Pro Tools subscription version has in fact been transferred.

It doesn't say anything about what happens if let my subscription expire so i'm worried that I won't be able to use my carbon fully
Old 04-23-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I read it thanks. 'The licenses are not transferrable to other user accounts' yet the Pro Tools subscription version has in fact been transferred.

It doesn't say anything about what happens if let my subscription expire so i'm worried that I won't be able to use my carbon fully
You are wasting time here. This exact question is answered in the very first answer in that faq. You are now the owner of this, that FAQ applies to you

"At the end of your term, if you choose not to renew your subscription, your Pro Tools subscription transforms into a perpetual license. This means you can continue using Pro Tools at the last version you were eligible for (your license won’t ever expire). Please note that you will need to renew your subscription if you’d like to continue receiving access to the latest Pro Tools updates and all bundled items noted above."

It has already been explained to you that not transferable means Avid do not want the Pro Tools license being separated from the hardware bundle and sold. But if an owner wants to transfer it in a hardware sale that is fine and needs to be done in a transfer of ownership. That is very classic Avid bundles software behavior. Which is what was done for you. So you have seen that transfer work, you have had it explained, so why are you still asking about this?

The simple answer is stop worrying about stuff.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:

The subscription version of Pro Tools that comes with Carbon is actually a special license called a Perpetual Parachute (let's not confuse the two). Once the 1 year of updates has expired it continues as a license. You can keep using the license with the last version of Pro Tools available to you at that time before the 1 year of updates expired. If at any time before or after the 1 year of updates expired. You can purchase an additional 1 year of updates and support plan to get the latest version of PT. What's unique about the Carbon's Perpetual Parachute license is that at ANY TIME after the 1-year of updates and support has expired, you can renew without penalty.

There was an active thread about this earlier in the year that I was involved in. Mark Corbin from Avid answered the question you have in which he was given a scenario to play out as described below.

Hey all!

So the Perpetual Parachute has been fixed in the Dev side. We need to test it, but it should be ready for prime time soon, albeit late. Thank you for all of your patience AND questions.

Quote:
Let's say you are on 2021.12 perpetual parachute.
In 2026 you pay for one year of subscription on that license, get 2026.3 (or whatever).
In 2027 you let the subscription run out...
What version will your perpetual license be - 2021.12 or 2026.3?
So let's play the above scenario out as it currently stands....

Jan 2021
Purchase PT | Carbon (I see you early adopters)
Pro Tools Subscription with Perpetual Parachute activated with Carbon registration

Jan 2022
Pro Tools Subscription with Perpetual Parachute expires
Pro Tools Subscription turns into a Pro Tools Perpetual license (currently broken)
You can continue to use your Carbon with the last PT release. PT 2021.12
You loose access to access to the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, HEAT, Melodyne 5 essential, UVI Falcon 2, the sound library, & support.

Jan 2026
You decide to renew your Subscription because you miss us and we've added a ton of great features to Pro Tools
Pro Tools Perpetual Parachute Subscription is only available as an annual commitment
You get access to software updates for the year and all the goodies that went away when the subscription lapsed... to the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, HEAT, Melodyne 5 essential, UVI Falcon 2, the sound library, & support.

Jan 2027
Pro Tools Subscription with Perpetual Parachute expires
Pro Tools Subscription turns into a Pro Tools Perpetual license
You can continue to use your Carbon with the last PT release. PT 2026.12
You loose access to access to the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, HEAT, Melodyne 5 essential, UVI Falcon 2, the sound library, & support.

Rinse & repeat...

In this manner you are never unable to use your Carbon and we hopefully incentivize you to keep an active Subscription.

Let me know if you still have questions!

Mark
Audio Services Supervisor

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!

Here's the link to the thread.
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418378

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:28 AM

Thanks Mark. My Pro tools standard version changed to PT Studio the other day. Does your information still apply?
Old 05-09-2022, 07:33 AM
Avid

Yes, you still have the PT Parachute license, it has just been rebranded in line with the Tiers release. Everything mentioned before is still valid.
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!