Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM

Default CPU Overload. Can\'t resolve issue.

Well, I'm fairly new to the OSX side of things and really new to Pro Tools (just bought an Mbox2 a couple weeks ago), but I have been having a dreadful time trying to sort out a CPU overload error on my Macbook (error -6101). Here's my specs before we get started:

- Macbook C2D
- OSX 10.4.9
- Pro Tools 7.4 LE w/cs2 update
- 1GB Memory
- LaCie D2 External (firewire)
- Mbox2
- USB Mouse

Here's what's happening: I'm getting the CPU Overload message (-6101) when trying to run two or three tracks with maybe three total plugins. For example, I get the error when running a two track mix (guitar and drums) with Amplitube2 and EZdrummer, nothing else. Sometimes it's immediate (as when I hit play) sometimes it'll play for 10 to 15 seconds and then error out. Other times it plays just fine with no issues. Having my PT computer usage window open shows it utilizing about 25% to 30% of the CPU in the RTAS section, so it doesn't appear to be threatening the threshold. Removing a plug from the drum track, say Ozone 3, will not cure this. Although the CPU meter goes down very slightly, the error code still randomly comes up as I describe above. Also when the error does occur the CPU meter never maxes out. It remains hovering at the percentage I mention.

Now, I've gone through the troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum and have done everything suggested with the exception of updating the PACE drivers as they seem to be for licensing and I don't think that would affect my CPU overload problem. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Regardless, I've searched keywords among this forum as well as others and couldn't find anything else to try outside of trashing preferences, which I've done to no avail.

It's probably something really minor somewhere that I haven't done, but I really could use some assistance if at all possible. I honestly don't know what else I can do so any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload. Can\'t resolve issue.

Another Gb of RAM would help.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah, I figure I need to do that, but shouldn't I be able to at least run two tracks with two plugs ins? It would seem then by doubling the RAM I would only be able to run four tracks with four plug ins? Or is this flawed logic? I have read others report of using Pro Tools effectively with 1GB of RAM. At least more than two tracks with two plug ins.

Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM

I am having the same problem running LE 7.3 on an Intel iMac. It is severe and happens even with only two tracks playing back with no plug ins running. I also have maxed out ram (2gb) and recording to external FW drive. I have tried everything I can find and still no luck. I hope someone responds with good suggestion. LE is really not useable like this.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:57 AM

I take it you've tried the Mbox2 in another USB port?

Macbook
Due to internal USB architecture issues on the MacBook, use of Digidesign, M-Audio, or third-party USB audio devices is supported on the front USB port only (the port furthest away from the screen).
Use of such devices on the rear USB port is not advised because it may cause audio interrupts and/or dropped samples.

If you haven't done so already, try moving all your plug-ins to the unused folder and add them back 1 at a time before launchimg PT to see if one of these is causing the CPU spike's.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Phil - I did try switching ports and it made no difference. I will try what you suggest today by moving the plug-ins to an unused folder and adding them back one at a time and starting Pro Tools to see if one of them is causing this. I'm not very familiar with the folder hierarchy in OSX, so I may need to ask a noob question pertaining to the location of the RTAS plug-ins!

Really appreciate all who have responded thus far. Thanks for your help guys. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'll report back on my findings after testing each plug-in today.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM

Don't know if this is much help but I know that Amplitube is a major memory hog - maybe it is just the case of needing a little more RAM in order to run both at the same time.....? I have Guitar Rig and the official ram requirement/minimum is 512 Mb - The reality is that I have 1 Gig of RAM and that barely cuts it for most of the modelling presets. It flat out won't run more than one heavy plug in at a time for me with 1 Gig of RAM and NO additional audio tracks and I have a quad core intel mac pro. So the more RAM answer from one of the other users makes sense to me.

Also, when I first had this problem I was also checking the CPU usage meter and all seemed normal - however Guitar Rig has it's own CPU meter and it goes way up there but very quickly and just for a split second - so maybe the usage is too quick for the mac meter to catch?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:09 AM

I have 2GB and it's happen the same as you.....are you use Leopard System?

let me know

Alex