Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2002, 10:31 AM

Default How do I partition a drive to install mulitple OS\'s

Oops - bought a new PC (which came w/ XP installed) only to find i must revert back to a 4 yr old OS to run my digi unit - gee - thats nice.

I need advice and instructions on partitioning a drive/ or adding another drive w/ the old WIN 98SE OS. Is it possible to switch OS's without re-booting the PC? What is a "double-boot" (no sarcasm or puns please) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

links would be appreciated... Thanks

-B$
Old 02-14-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Re: How do I partition a drive to install mulitple OS\'s

well in order for the dual boot to work with win98 you should install 98 first, so you will have to reformate your hard drive. setup your partition magic software with bootmagic create a second active partition and then install winxp. I dual boot without a problem and both systems are more stable now then they ever
Old 02-14-2002, 11:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by citi:
well in order for the dual boot to work with win98 you should install 98 first, so you will have to reformate your hard drive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is incorrect. Do a search on this topic and you'll find a thread about this, in which I listed steps for this, but......

Leave XP alone. Install Partition Magic 7, which is XP compatible. Using PM, resize XP partition smaller (I went from 38GB to 32GB, which left 6GB unallocated). Then MOVE the 32GB XP partition to end of drive, which also moves 6GB to front. This way, XP drive will still boot because it's in the bootable sector. Go ahead and test it this way. Make sure you have recovery disks (you can make with PM)

Next, format 6GB to Fat32. Turn on BootMagic (should have installed on Xp drive).

Restart and set BIOS to start from CD (you'll be installing WinME or Win98SE from CD). Install WinME on 6Gb drive. Reboot, but remove CD. BootMagic will ask which OS to load. You're done.

No, you can't switch OS without restarting, but XP is quick start/quit and your WinME drive, with few other programs loaded, will shutdown/start quick too (mine does).

PS It's been a month since I did it, so some steps (mostly when to turn on Bootmagic) might be slightly off, but read the PM manual.

If you add a 2nd drive, make it audio only.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2002, 01:39 PM

don't peace me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I am just saying, that that the software can be quirky when done this way. I use partition magic also.If you had read my post you would see that I said if you can......who peed in your cheerios today? relax. Everyones entitled to there opinion...even you. You way is not the RIGHT way..its just a SUGGESTED way.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:18 PM

Said "if you can" what?

Don't give me "if you had read that" stuff either [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The only "if you can" statement is an incomplete sentence. And you weren't giving an opinion, you were mistating something, and your reiteration of it sounds like a blowoff, with your little lecture about "everyone should know that", etc.

BTW, the point of putting "Peace" is to show I don't mean it as the same blow off, but you went for it anyway, so who has pee in their cheerios? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But whatever...
Old 02-14-2002, 02:26 PM

it's hard to believe that you actually get work with that attitude. go ahead and turn it into a personal issue. you are only stressing yourself out.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by citi:
no it is not incorrect. although it can be done <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, even here you contradict yourself. On one hand you say it can't be done, then you say it CAN be done. Which was I supposed to believe you meant? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 02:28 PM

it's hard to believe that you actually get work with that attitude. go ahead and turn it into a personal issue. you are only stressing yourself out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you talking about? You keep accusing me of what you are doing! Whatever. I have better things to do....
Old 02-14-2002, 02:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by geminirand:

See, even here you contradict yourself. On one hand you say it can't be done, then you say it CAN be done. Which was I supposed to believe you meant? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you sound like a politcian sound biting what people say. and since you have better things to do....do them.

peace [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 05:37 PM

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

www.abacomusic.com