Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM

Default New Subscription/ilok keep old PT

My computer was getting old, so I bit the bullet and bought a brand new MacBook Pro.
I was previously running ProTools 11 on a Mac mini 2012.

I have been researching a subscription to the newest ProTools and I love the idea of being able to update my OS as needed. However, I would like to keep my original ProTools 11 but I don’t feel the need to pay $10 a month to keep my old license that I already paid for.

my question is:
If I buy a brand new iLok and set everything up with a new email address etc. is there a way to just start anew without repaying for my old license? I realize I would still need to pay for an old ilok, but my MacMini still functions and is still something I’ll end up using, so I’d like to keep it.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:35 AM

Default Re: New Subscription/ilok keep old PT

Unclear why adding a subscription seems so hard.

If you want a new subscription just subscribe to it. That does not affect your existing perpetual license (as long as you don’t use a promo/discount that surrenders that existing license… if you do well then it’s gone, that’s the deal for the discount).

If you buy a new subscription it’s your choice if you put that on the same iLok or a different one, or run them through a different iLok account. If you just want to use each license concurrently on two separate computers, then just get two iLoks in one account (yes you could use iLok cloud licensing… I personally would not).

If your question is how do you circumvent the surrendering of a license that is a clearly required part of you getting a discount on a subscription…. What exactly do you think the answer will be?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:36 AM

Don't make things too complicated. As far as I see it, correct me if I misunderstood you, here is the situation:
  1. you have one ilok account. you do not need another
  2. you have two systems, one old PT11 and another current one
  3. you have one ilok key, so you need another for two systems
  4. you keep your old PT11 license (unless you want to take advantage of the get current deal that is only available until end of the year)
  5. you keep the old ilok on the old system and keep going
  6. you buy subscription to your new system, submit that license to a new ilok

If you do not need to use both systems simultaneously, you could grab the get current deal and just swap that one ilok key between old and new systems whichever you are using.

Disclaimer: you need to contact Avid first, and explicitly ask if you can keep your PT11 license while you get current. I am not 100% sure. My PT license bundle has PT10/11/12 and current ones.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:51 AM

Thank you so much for the swift replies yall.

I kept reading that you had to surrender all old licenses to be able to use PT2021, and I have a melodyne license I’m trying to keep. I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and upgraded. I spent basically my entire budget on this tricked out new laptop and going forward I am trying to keep updating as often as possible so I can keep all my other apps updated as well.

It didn’t seem likely that I would need to do that, but there’s a lot of info out there, a lot of it conflicting. Thanks for the good news!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:30 AM

You could buy a new Subscription (discounted to $199US this month). Provides access to current/newer versions while keeping the subscription active (you'd keep your perpetual Pro Tools 11 license to fall back on).

We're also offering a Perpetual License Upgrade this month ($249US) where you'd trade your license in for a Pro Tools 10/11/12/Perpetual bundle (more info).
Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNBABY View Post
Thank you so much for the swift replies yall.

I kept reading that you had to surrender all old licenses to be able to use PT2021, and I have a melodyne license I’m trying to keep. I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and upgraded. I spent basically my entire budget on this tricked out new laptop and going forward I am trying to keep updating as often as possible so I can keep all my other apps updated as well.

It didn’t seem likely that I would need to do that, but there’s a lot of info out there, a lot of it conflicting. Thanks for the good news!
There is really no conflicting info, you have to carefully look at what you are buying.

A plain subscription is just that, does not affect anything else.

The surrendering of perpetual licenses to get a subscription was/is? Only ever a part of a promotion. Maybe Avid could have made that clearer (they improved wording over time) but purchasers have to read the details on what they are buying.

The $199 discount subscription jeffro mentions above does not require surrendering a perpetual license, but it becomes $299 per year after the first year, and if you stop paying everything in that subscription stops working.

However you buy these you subscribe/get the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle and Heat.

Unless you simultaneously need to run both systems I would personally go with a perpetual license upgrade jeffro mentioned (Especially if I did not have the plugin bundle already… its too important/useful and I would want that on both systems). These computers are at the same location right? Not used simultaneously? If so KISS, One iLok, perpetual license, all other licenses on the same iLok, one ZDT to pay, etc.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
We're also offering a Perpetual License Upgrade this month ($249US) where you'd trade your license in for a Pro Tools 10/11/12/Perpetual bundle (more info).
I think this is the solution. You upgrade your PT11 license and get current PT version plus one year upgrade/support plan, Heat & Complete Plugin Bundle (as long as you pay the yearly fees), and that license also is good for running 10, 11, and 12. (And if you don't care about upgrades after a year, just don't renew, and you have what you have now; a lifetime PT license parked at the version you have when you let it expire. And you no longer have Heat and Complete plugin bundle.)

BUT, and this is important; If you buy it thru your account at avid.com, it will be activated immediately. That might suit you fine, but some of us wanted to buy this upgrade and activate it at a later point in time. The way to do that is to buy that same upgrade, but from a reseller. Then you get a 'redemption code' that can be used on your account to activate in the future.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
...The surrendering of perpetual licenses to get a subscription was/is? Only ever a part of a promotion. Maybe Avid could have made that clearer (they improved wording over time) but purchasers have to read the details on what they are buying.
Confirming... there was a Crossgrade which provided a $200 discount for each of the first 2 years of subscription by surrendering your perpetual license. It included multiple dialogs (like the one included below) in the purchasing process that stated this. This ended back in Sept with the release of promos that allowed you to retain your perpetual license.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossgrade - Perpetual Surrender Warning.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
...If you buy it thru your account at avid.com, it will be activated immediately. That might suit you fine, but some of us wanted to buy this upgrade and activate it at a later point in time. The way to do that is to buy that same upgrade, but from a reseller. Then you get a 'redemption code' that can be used on your account to activate in the future.
Correct. This was stated in the Licensing FAQ and we updated the FAQ for the current upgrade to clarify that.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Confirming... there was a Crossgrade which provided a $200 discount for each of the first 2 years of subscription by surrendering your perpetual license. It included multiple dialogs (like the one included below) in the purchasing process that stated this. This ended back in Sept with the release of promos that allowed you to retain your perpetual license.
copy that- i think that is where i was getting confused. i never claimed to be smart

as long as i can keep both licenses on my ilok i am gonna try out the subscription! if i dont see the need after the first year, i will re-evaluate!

thanks for all the help guys!