Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Best option for remote mix approval

Morning guys. We are going to be in need of an option for remote mix approval for an upcoming series that will be mixed in 5.1. Is Source Connect Pro X still the best option for this? I see that they just released Source Live Pro 3, which looks absolutely amazing for our needs, except that it appears to be stereo only.

Wondering if there are any other options that people are using, and having good stability on both ends.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Best option for remote mix approval

interesting concept.. and one that concerne me - but here's my devil advocacy hat....

presumably for 5.1 to be any use the client end also need to be a good 5.1 room?

which kinda begs the question - wouldnt they want to have direct conversation with mixer?

I havent tried source connect - but recently I did spend about 20** hours working with a client over skype.. ( laptop had video car so they got the vid I was seeing ) ( was over 3 or 4 days - usually 5 hours or more each time )

we didnt use for mix - but more for a convenient SFX editing session - Ie I had basically done the SFX and we went over it - made a few changes

we then met in a Dolby room a few times - and I would say it did save a lot of time

I was workign in 5.1 and folding down to stereo to them ( internal mixer on my saffire Pro 40 )
Old 11-06-2015, 01:29 AM

SC X is the only way to send 5.1 in phase to the other end.
Any other software (Skype's and their likes) use variable data rates when the going gets tough. Avoid - especially in 5.1 (if indeed you can even do that)

I sent 5.1 to LA from London for the first ever SC demo of this at Vintage King LA. Flawless for over two hours.

It is potentially planned to add 5.1 to Source Live from conversations I have had with the SC team during testing

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 PM

I remain interested in this question, but for me I just send video files w/ mix embedded for these scenarios.

(I've seen relatively little use-case for real-time, enough to make it worth the rather intense amount of trouble.)

I can imagine scenarios in which it would be useful, like a series being mixed in a different city, where environments on both ends can have a proper, controlled setup, and time is of the essence.

-jeremiah
Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 AM

Take a look at the new Source Live pro 2 from Source elements, it delivers video and audio in sync ad is designed for remote approval.

Mike
Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM

Looks like it does have a gateway for web-browser clients on the receiving end, and also a free iOS app for receiving. Cool.

http://source-elements.com/source-live/

$995

The feature set seems spot on. The price point is... Such that you won't do it unless you can justify it.

Standard problems apply of not knowing what it really sounds like on the receiving end (is someone approving your mix on their Bose noise cancelling headphones? Apple earbuds??)

Good to know about.

-j