Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Default External Clock->Sync IO->LoopSync - Does this work?

Quick dumb one as I'm setting up some new PT hardware.

I'd like to simplify clocking of my ProTools system (6 interfaces) and avoid clocking them all individually from the studio's master clock.

To this end, is it possible to have my Sync I/O clocked externally (from the studio's master clock) and then acting as Loop Sync master to the 6 HD interfaces? I'm assuming it is, but just thought I should check before I start re-cabling.

Also, I'm assuming a Sync IO (blue-face - not the newer HD one) will work ok with ProTools HDX and a mixture of blue and black-face interfaces?

Thanks in advance

Jules
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Re: External Clock->Sync IO->LoopSync - Does this work?

Quote:
To this end, is it possible to have my Sync I/O clocked externally (from the studio's master clock) and then acting as Loop Sync master to the 6 HD interfaces? I'm assuming it is, but just thought I should check before I start re-cabling.
that is the way it's recommended to wire them up

by black do you mean 888s or the new dark grey HD interfaces?
former, don't think so
later, we have that but on old HD cards but it should work fine

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks Craig.

Yes, by black-face I mean the newest HD interfaces.

What I can't figure is whether my clock reference on the Sync IO should be set to 'digital' which appears to be Wordclock In, or 'Loop Sync' which is kind of where you'd expect it to be set if you're using Loop Sync ...?

Also, in the past, when I've had an active Sync IO in ProTools (ticked in the peripherals window), I've been unable to have ProTools sync to incoming MIDI time code from a different MIDI device. Is that still the case, or can I just use the Sync IO for Word Clock sync, and MTC from a different device for positional sync?

Or, if using the Sync IO is going to stop me using a different device for MTC, can I just leave the Sync IO out of the Loop Sync chain altogether, clock one of my HD interfaces from the studio master clock, and chain all the interfaces together (without Sync IO) for Loop Sync? The Sync IO isn't really used for any other synchronisation any more.

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating my initial query - things are popping into my head as I set things up.

Thanks again

Jules
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM

the clock source would be set to Word in the Session Setup window for the Sync IO

you should be able to set up a separate device for MTC in Peripherals

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks Craig.

I'm going to run some tests with PTHD 10.1 and see what the situation is with MTC if the SYnc IO is enabled.

If it's not blocking the use of other devices, I'll cable as suggested above. If it is, I'll have to leave the Sync IO out of the Loop Sync loop (the HD IO manual seems to suggest this is fine), and run studio wordclock to one of my interfaces which can then run as Loop Sync master. Can't think of any reason why this would be inferior to using the Sync IO.

Thanks again

Jules
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Enabling the Sync IO in the Peripherals window does unfortunately cause ProTools to grey-out the MTC Reader Port, meaning you can't use MTC for positional sync using a different MIDI device.

No idea why ProTools does this, but it means I'm going to have to leave the Sync IO out of the loop.

Shame

Jules