Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Default Another user has session open - but doesn't

After working on a project at the studio, I copied the Pro Tools folder to an external hard-drive and took it home to continue work. Upon attempting to open the session at home I was confronted with the "User "xxxx" on machine "xxxxx.local" with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has this session open". I have seen this at the studio as we work off a Nexis server and can open the same project in different suites. Indeed, the user, machine, and IP address in the above dialogue are all specific to the studio.

But now I am at home, in no way connected to the studio network where the 'machine "xxxxx.local" with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' is shut down anyway. I'm told to do a Save As, which I do, and I can overwrite the local project file.

I have worked this way many times before. The only difference this time was that I brought the PT Ultimate licence iLok home so I could keep my 5.1 tracks and use clip effects. I have restarted with the regular Pro Tools but the result is the same. It is just this one project - which was the last one I had open at the studio yesterday. The session was closed properly, the Nexis disconnected correctly, and the computer and studio shut down normally.

Why is this occurring when it cannot even see the other network?

I'm running PT 2020.12 ( was .11 until an hour ago) on a 2017 iMac MacOS 11.0.1. The studio is a MacPro5,1 MacOS 10.13.6 PT Ultimate 2020.10
Old 12-24-2020, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Another user has session open - but doesn't

I think I've sussed this out. I figured there must be a local bit of metadata that indicates the file is in use and that PT isn't actually scanning the network looking for open sessions. So I deleted the Wavecache which made no difference, and then deleted a .tmp file which did. Looking up what this file does, I found the following:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

I must have copied the project folder before closing the session, thus transporting the .tmp file.

Live and learn
Old 01-18-2022, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Another user has session open - but doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarthy View Post
I think I've sussed this out. I figured there must be a local bit of metadata that indicates the file is in use and that PT isn't actually scanning the network looking for open sessions. So I deleted the Wavecache which made no difference, and then deleted a .tmp file which did. Looking up what this file does, I found the following:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

I must have copied the project folder before closing the session, thus transporting the .tmp file.

Live and learn
Just wanted to reply thanking you for your post, even if no one has answered you have came back to explain how to solve it. I had exactly the same problem and solved it by deleting the temp file.