Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Default Mixing with USB headphone amp/dac?

I've got a pair of AKG K702 headphones that I hook up to a small FiiO e10k headphone amp into a USB port so I can use it's bass boost. I'd like to use these for mixing, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Pro Tools 11 to output sound through the device. I've tried setting it as the Playback Engine but nothing comes out and the output channel remains greyed out. I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" Retina if that helps, and the device shows up in the sound section of System Settings. I can set it as the system output. What, if anything, can I do to get this working?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Mixing with USB headphone amp/dac?

Either hold down the N-key while starting up Pro Tools, to select the interface directly, or if you want to use more than one audio interface at once, include it with OS X AudioMIDI Setup app into the "Pro Tools Aggreagate Device".

You need to adjust the Audio Paths in Pro Tools also.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog19892 View Post
I've got a pair of AKG K702 headphones that I hook up to a small FiiO e10k headphone amp into a USB port so I can use it's bass boost. I'd like to use these for mixing, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Pro Tools 11 to output sound through the device. I've tried setting it as the Playback Engine but nothing comes out and the output channel remains greyed out. I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" Retina if that helps, and the device shows up in the sound section of System Settings. I can set it as the system output. What, if anything, can I do to get this working?
I'm not sure this will help you, but here goes..

In Pro Tools:
  • Setup > Playback Engine > select your FiiO USB as the Playback Engine.
  • Setup > I/O
  • Under Output tab > hit Default.
  • Under Bus tab > hit Default.
  • Under Bus tab > Drop down the the first entry from the top under Mapping to Output and select xxx 1-2 (Stereo):

• And then make sure your audio track Output is set to this output.
Attached Images
File Type: png bus1.png (25.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bus2.jpg (22.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM

I've managed to get it to work by setting Pro Tools Aggregate I/O as the playback engine, going into Hardware and setting the FiiO USB as an output in OS X AudioMIDI setup, going into I/O settings in Pro Tools and hitting default under Output and Bus. It seems to be working perfectly now, thank you!