Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Mini-Me Set up Help

I just got this thing and I'm having a little trouble getting a signal into a track.
(I did RTFM. . .)
I'm using a Digi 001 on a Quicksilver dual 800 with 1.5 GB of RAM running 6.4.
I have the USB hooked up and I've configured new imputs in the I/O settings panel.
Mac system prefs sound manager thing is set to Mini-Me for input and output.
I did the hardware set up and set it to s/pdif clock source to optical. I am running a s/pdif cord from the MM to the 001.
For peripherals, the Hardware set-up panel only shows the Dig 001, should it also show the Mini-Me?
I have 'phones hooked into the MM and can hear my guitar directly but not when the knob is set to USB, obviously.
NO signal getting into an armed track. [bleep].
I'm stuck. Can anyone help me use my new toy?

Thanks in advance,

EjA
Old 05-18-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Mini-Me Set up Help

Erm... Pro Tools does not support other audio interfaces than Digidesign or M-Audio hardware. So I'm sorry to tell you that you can disconnect that USB cable again and also you probably could have saved some money by ordering the Mini-ME non-USB version...

In short:
- Stow that USB cable away but leave the SPDIF connection as-is (making sure it's SPDIF In on the 001)
- Set that Mac system preferences thing back to the 001 while it's on and connected, iTunes is started but Protools is CLOSED. So iTunes should use the 001 as interface again via the PT Core Audio driver.
- Launch PT and set your PT I/O setup back to the values you had before (defaults?)
- Set the Protools clock to SPDIF in the PT hardware setup
- Make sure you've selected a sample rate on the Mini-ME with some bit depth matching the PT session, NOT a setting saying "BLK"
- Create an Audio track and select an appropriate SPDIF option as track input
- Arm the track and enjoy
Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks globaleric,
I'll try all that when I get home. It sounds likeyou know exactly what needs to be done.
Even if the USB wasn't going to work (not that I knew that), I still wanted to buy that option in case I switch to another platform from my laptop. Logic is looking pretty nice. Right now I'm 'stuck' with an 001, on a Quicksilver, in Panther, and can only go to 6.4.
I assume you had/have a mini-me. How do you like it? Any tips and tricks you care to share?

Thank you very much again, I appreciate your help.

EjA
Old 05-18-2006, 10:55 AM

Well, I'm using my Mini-ME mostly for 2track location recordings along with a separate CF recorder. However, with 'important' bounces I'm sometimes using it as external clock for the 002 as I think it's slightly improving the sound quality - that would be one trick (and what the 'BLK' settings are intended for).
Apart from that it's such a simple device that there's not much more to tweak around - simply use it and enjoy its qualities