How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 AM

Unhappy Lost iLok USB

Hi there really hoping someone can help me out with this predicament:

I bought Pro Tools 9 a few months ago and it came with the pre-authorized iLok that I had to have in the USB drive for Pro Tools to run. Pro Tools was the only software on my mac I used this iLok for. A week ago I lost my iLok, and after turning the house upside down several times I admitted defeat to my own extreme carelessness and am looking now to the next step.

After searching around the internet for what to do next I gathered that I had to report the iLok lost on iLok.com and I also had to buy a new blank iLok and somehow get a new license on to it (since the iLok I got with Pro Tools 9 came pre-authorised for Pro Tools I had not made an account at iLok.com before losing my iLok)

So I went to The Rockshop (I live in Christchurch, New Zealand) and bought a new blank iLok over the counter, I then made an account on iLok.com and requested an RMA for my lost iLok.

iLok.com then sent what I am guessing is an automated (as it came through rather fast) email to me saying...

Dear Tom,

We have received your RMA request for your Lost iLok. Your RMA tracking ID is ***********, dated 8/14/11 1:56 AM.

Please remember that if your lost or stolen iLok is found, you may not use it but should contact iLok.com support to complete the RMA process.

Here are the specifics of your RMA:

The RMA process is irreversible. You agree that the iLok nominated for RMA will not be used in the future. If a stolen or lost iLok is ever identified on iLok.com, the iLok and all licenses on it will be automatically disabled.
iLok.com has no record of what licenses, if any, are on this iLok, so no temporary licenses can be provided.
Because we cannot recover your licenses from the missing iLok, we cannot provide you with permanent replacement licenses. You must contact the software companies and work with them directly to receive replacement licenses.
We will automatically provide your contact information (including your name, account ID, and e-mail address), plus details regarding the replacement process to the software companies associated with the lost licenses. This will be done regardless of your profile privacy settings.
If you need a new blank iLok, you may order one from the ilok.com store.
Best regards,

--The iLok.com Team

...so that is all good, and they are basically saying the next step is for me to get in touch with Avid yes?

Unfortunately I cannot find a way to get in touch with Avid if you live in New Zealand! All the phone numbers on the Avid website are for America or Europe (understandable). They also have the Avid Support Codes available for purchase but it also says these codes are "available in North America, South America, Europe, and Japan
Regional telephone access points in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain"

So does anyone know what I can do next to get Pro Tools 9 running again?
Is there a step I am missing in getting my new iLok re-licensed?

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Lost iLok USB

Yes, you need to get a new PT9 license from Avid.

You can purchase support for your problem. I don't know if you have to something different if you live outside the U.S.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-center

Since your loss was not Avid's fault, I'd expect you will have to pay for support on this issue. You might also be charged for a new license.

Can you contact a local company that sells Pro Tools? Where did you buy yours?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks for your reply.

OK cool I understand I will probably have to pay for support and a new license as it was my fault I lost it. I have no problem with that at all. The big issue is how I can do that from New Zealand...

I just don't see the point in purchasing an ASC from Avid website when it says they are only for America Europe and Japan...

I bought Pro Tools 9 from The Rockshop NZ Christchurch (same place I bought the replacement iLok) so I suppose I could see if they know a NZ number I can call or a way to purchase Avid support in NZ. Unfortunately the staff there they were extremely un-knowledgable about how to replace iLok licenses when I asked them about it when I went in to buy my replacement iLok.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with Avid from countries outside of the ASC supported countries and could let me know that would be fantastic!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Update: Got it sorted! Rang up the Avid guys in the US and they sorted me out. For anyone else who loses theirs…You have to purchase an ASC from the website (lets you talk to Avid on the phone) as well as the iLok transfer fee from avid website, and a new blank iLok and register it on iLok.com before ringing Avid - this will make the call a lot easier.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 AM

hey, the same thing just happened to me. I had my iLok stolen at school so I followed the steps on iLok.com and submitted the RMA therefore it deleted all my licenses off that iLok. I'm going to follow all the steps you said and hopefully it works out for me! So, just to clarify things -- you paid the $20 to Avid for the ACS, as well as $25 for iLok to TRANSFER the license? Your response would be much appreciated!