Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Importing Video

When importing video into Pro Tools, it doesn't save the video file in the Pro Tools session folder, so if I move to another studio the video is missing, I can't find anywhere in the prefs that says import video, the only work around I can think of is to 'save copy in' but surely that isn't what we must do...

Also when working with videos, is there ever any need to into more detail than 1 frame? Video doesn't move in sub-frames does it, only frames?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Importing Video

save a copy as will give you the option to bundle everything together. You'll want to keep your video files on a separate drive for better performance.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM

What about when moving between studios? this makes it so easy to forget a video file or files.

Also I'm failing to see the need of editing in more detail than 1 frame at a time, which leads me onto this question, when editing sound for a video, should we work in frames or samples?

One more thing, the video is 24.97 fps and so the video frames aren't quite lining up with grid lines when in timebase mode.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM

24.97? I think you better tell us more about the project, I'll assume it's a European thing.

Picture is in whole frames, less than a frame would look like a glitch when played.

We usually work between 1 frame and 1/4 frame grid at my place

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
24.97? I think you better tell us more about the project, I'll assume it's a European thing.
Most likely a typo.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Most likely a typo.
The video is an AVI, when imported into Pro Tools the video is coming up as 24.97 which means the frames don't line up with the grid.

Why this is happening I have no idea.

Also Craig, how come you work with 1/4 frames, is that for moving the audio into place? or something else?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Also I'm failing to see the need of editing in more detail than 1 frame at a time, which leads me onto this question, when editing sound for a video, should we work in frames or samples?
Content and context matter. I routinely leave my nudge value at .25 frame to make adjustments to music and dialog. During mixing, some adjustments of 1 sample can be heard, at other times and in other contexts I've missed things that were 6 frames off...

Check your Project window to see where all of your media is before moving from one studio to another. The function "Copy and relink" is very useful when cleaning up.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM

you should talk with your editor to confirm the timecode spec. I would assume there is an error in the export given that frame rate. Tell the editor you need this fixed as nothing good will come of it. Best case scenario is that it won't matter but more than likely it will.

Work in frames. I usually start out with 5 frames on the large nudge keys and one frame on the smaller nudge keys and as the mix progresses or if more precision is required for editing I switch to 1/4 frames.

When moving a project between rooms, "File/Save A Copy As" will transfer all assets into one folder for you. When you transfer rooms, you load that folder and for best results, move the video file to a separate drive than the audio assets. I usually use a transfer drive to shuttle between rooms. Or if you're networked you can use a drop box depending on how large the session is.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Why not just copy the quicktime from the workspace of either your mac or windows? I do all of my moving of quicktimes outside of PT, then relink. Makes for a lot less mess.

No, video tracks, due their nature, works frame by frame.

As far as editing the actual sound, you do what ever sounds right! For me, that means, other than doing Confo's, just stay in slip mode. Think dialog. If you restrict yourself to cutting only on the frame edge, and have to replace a syllable, it will sound completely off.