Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 AM

Default Re: G5 & PTv8 on Leopard, is it Safe ??

BTW - The idea of putting Leopard + PT 8 on an external disk for experimental purposes is a good one, if you are curious. Nothing like first hand experience. My experience with the exact same hardware as you (G5 2 x 2, Digi 002 rack) with Leopard and PT 8 was disappointing. I could feel the G5 struggling under the load of the new interface and plugins (not to mention the OS). Graphics were sluggish, plugin counts were lower, plus there were numerous little "issues" that just made the system feel less capable, less stable. I wasn't satisfied. So no Leopard + PT8 on the G5 for me.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayprotools View Post
"musicalavtech" i can get a buffer size of 32 samples on my rig, which is the lowest setting.
Is this because of different hardware we have a different lowest buffer settings?
I believe it is because of different hardware as well, but when I boot in tiger and run PT 7.3, my lowest buffer setting is 128 instead of 64. That's completely a software format.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianista View Post
PTLE7 works.

PTLE8 is fraught with danger for those with a stable PT 7 system. It's full of candy at the expense of the robustness that was eventually PT7.

I would go as far as to say that PT7 is Pro Tools, and PT8 doesn't know what it is yet.

My HD-2 rig with 7.4 running on Tiger and a G5 was like bricks and mortar to use, whereas PTLE8 on Intel is like working in a tent.

Beware the Big Bad Wolf. Where would you rather be?
thanks for your insight i think i am going to stick with tiger, get 4 more gigs of ecc ram (total of 6 gig ecc ram from the apple store), and upgrade to 7.4 le. I am a composer guitar player first. I usually need just about 5-10 tracks to work in a any given session at a time. when i need drums or keyboards I bring my demos to my friends studio and he adds them. I lay down guitar tracks and bass tracks vocal tracks as well so i don't need more than 10-15 tracks to play with at a time when i edit/mix my compositions. ONe other thing your not the only person i have talked to that has pointed out the problems with these intel based macs. I was gonna get one maybe upgrade, but it sounds to me like i would be downgrading seeing that so many people are having problems right now running 8.0 le with leopard snow leopard on intel based macs. And even more of a problem with leopard and 8.0 on power pc g5 models. I had an INtel processor in my old dell laptop that I used for recording. That was A Nightmare. I spent more time trouble shooting the dell and trying to fix latency issues than i did actually playing. So I went mac G5 dual core power pc -2.3ghz - 2 gig ecc ram - pro tools le 7.0 - ez quest pro audio frie wire 800 external hard drive - 20" cinema display screen - along with some other musical equipment i won't get into - AND MADE MUSIC - Mac should have never merged with intel. they were just starting to use and advance the good dual core power pc cpu processors right before they sold out to INTEL.