Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Default more autorenaming

Hallo,
many avid editors names audio clips (takes) using "-" (minus) sign
i.e. 56-2-1
(scena, point of view, take)

BUT Pro Tools, when I do an editing operation like "separate region" or similar, change the name in 56-2-2, 56-2-3 etc.
increasing the last number, after "-" (minus).

I asked avid editor for a different naming schema, like

056/02/01

it's ok, and with fixed numbers (02 instead of 2... I mean. Sorry for poor english) you have good coincidence between alphabetical and numerical sorting.

PLEASE, DIGI, I NEED
1) a command to rename region names substituting AUTOMATICALLY "-" with "/" (for example). Or a method to modify "-" sign Pro Tools behaviour
2) a "sorting system" adapted for Avid users and other people, so that 56/20/1 is AFTER 56/2/1 (you understand?). NO ALPHABETICAL, BUT NUMERICAL.
3) a method for obtaining an omf with MEDIAFILES names similar to CLIP NAMES, not strange characters... and a method to autorename region names (clip names) with IDENTICAL name (Avid programmers understand...).
4) a method to drag and drop files from region list to a track, and obtain a SEQUENCE of regions in timeline: horizontal distribution instead of vertical distribution (with programmable amount of space between?).
5) a command to RELINK (FIND) FILES even without ".aif" extension: strange but copying omf from Avid, using MACDRIVE, I lost ".aif" extension. So I used R-Name (freeware, beautiful software for mac os x).
6) a TOAST command inside Pro Tools.
7) AUTO WRITE TO END even on LE systems (digi002!!!!!! I need automation!!!!! you sold me 8 motorized faders!)
8) A simple way to test audio-video out of sync and for setting movie sync offset. I created a quicktime DV movie with some flashing frames, and created bips in sync, then viewing the movie (using canopus advc-100) i found a 16 qtr out of sync. But no all people want to create such test using final cut, or iMovie... Incorporate it please
9) INCORPORATE a pink noise generator equivalent to RMS of a 1KHZ tone at -18 dB FS (peak measurement) to align control room loudspeakers to 85 dB SPL (c weight) or 79 dB SPL (broadcast). It's so difficult? Your pink noise is not a pink noise, and the level is based on peak.
10) INCORPORATE a path check: bips or noise in sequence on output 1, 2, 3, and so on to check outputs faster.
11) I like Pro Tools. Can you talk more and more with Avid? Why AAF froma avid to pt is buggy?

Simone Corelli
audio engineer
ROMA
Italy
Old 04-24-2004, 05:02 AM

Default Re: more autorenaming

The / character is illegal in names on a Unix filesystem. It is reserved to denote directories. /Users/Shared/Music, for example, means "the Music file in the Shared folder in the Users folder."

Likewise, 056/02/01 would indicate "a file named 01 in a folder named 02 which is in a folder named 056."
Old 04-25-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: more autorenaming

I told about clip names, not filenames.
clip names are inside files.

Simon