Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Computer Recommendations

Hello All,
I'm a first time poster who is hoping to get some helpful suggestions. Here's my particulars:

I've been using a Pc and N-track for a couple of years. I was recently given a Digi 001 system and PT 6.4
I'd like to buy a mac that would be compatible with the 001 and would be dedicated solely for recording, no other uses.
I recording mainly single tracks, but sometimes record stereo tracks. It'll be used mainly for for just hobby purposes, but I don't want to run into any compatibility problems.
I've just recieved my tax refund check and could spend about $750. I'm not looking for anything really fancy, just enough to do my simple recordings.
I've been searching through the forum for a couple of days and it seems like the right type of computer is vital for PT. If anybody could give me "specific" suggestions of any entry level machine, or exactly what the machine should entail, I'd be forever greatful. If you could provide a link units that might be available in stores I'd even split all my lottery winnings with you!

Thanks in advance,

JB
Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Computer Recommendations

You could probably get an old G4 dual processor and a large hard drive or 2 for pretty cheap. Of course, you might want to add some more memory, too... Here is a good example from Ebay(Look around, there are plenty out there!!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem

I used a G4 dual 750 processor in a studio with a Digi001 and recorded 16 tracks simultaneously(With an ADAT attached for the extra 8 tracks) with no problem whatsoever. I think the G4 would be more than sufficient for your needs!!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Hello, I currently use a G4 duel 750 with the ram already maxed out. You pay shipping and for $450 it's yours!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hello, I currently use a G4 duel 750 with the ram already maxed out. You pay shipping and for $450 it's yours!
Considering I paid $2500 or so for one when it was new, the original poster should jump on this deal!! It's a great machine for the Digi001!!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replys. Now I'm really confused. I've browsing on ebay, and it seems like there's so many different options on a G4 that my head is splitting! What I'd really like to know is what is the best set up for what I'll be doing? (probably one track at a time, some plugins, the end result probably being 8-10 tracks. Just me, some guitars, and a drum machine out in the garage, ya know?).
Anyway, if anyone could recommend:
Processor speed - dual, single, more than a gig? Whats the minimum I should look for?
Memory - 512, a gig, more?
hd rpm- I seem to have read somewhere that a 10K rpm on the hd's was mandatory? Am I off base here? will a 7K hd work ok?
system- I'm using PT 6.4 is there a specific mac operating system that will work best with this version? The machine will be dedicated solely to recording. no other uses whatsoever.

Any input you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-02-2007, 03:29 PM

I would recommend something like 733mhz Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver)

http://support.apple.com/specs/power...icksilver.html

with 512mb-1gb of ram and a second Maxtor 7200rpm IDE 30gb drive for recording. I've had the Digi 001 run on a 400mhz G4 APG with 512mb of ram with one 9gb system drive and a 30gb audio drive, running pro tools le 5.1 on os 9.0.4. I never had any problems. Very rock solid. I used to record eight tracks at a time, but mostly one track for turning midi stuff into audio.

Since you have Pro Tools 6.4, I think 10.2.8 or 10.3 would be good.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Anyway, if anyone could recommend:
Processor speed - dual, single, more than a gig? Whats the minimum I should look for?
Memory - 512, a gig, more?
hd rpm- I seem to have read somewhere that a 10K rpm on the hd's was mandatory? Am I off base here? will a 7K hd work ok?
system- I'm using PT 6.4 is there a specific mac operating system that will work best with this version? The machine will be dedicated solely to recording. no other uses whatsoever.

As an example with a Mac G4. your best bet is a dual processor machine, but you can get away with a single(But at the prices you can get a used dual processor, you might as well get one). You DEFINITELY want as much memory as you can afford or fit in the thing. Memory makes a huge difference. And a 7200 RPM drive will work just fine. I have never used a 10,000RPM and never had a problem with a 7200(In OR out of the studio!). It's better to use an internal hard drive(On the G4, it's as easy to open up as a breadbox and plop a new drive in there!) than a Firewire for recording and playback, but a Firewire makes a great backup/archive drive. With PT 6.4, you may need to use OS 9 or an early version of OS X(I am a bit rusty on that since it's been a while since I used PT 6.*). OS 9 runs just fine, though...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Considering I paid $2500 or so for one when it was new, the original poster should jump on this deal!! It's a great machine for the Digi001!!
That makes no sense at all man!
I've paid a [bleep] for C64s, 286s, 386s and 486s and none of them are worth crap today... Well, with the exception of C64 of course. That was one wicked machine

Sorry, OT... If you need a G4 for your Digi001 you should of course get a G4. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense at all man!
I've paid a [bleep] for C64s, 286s, 386s and 486s and none of them are worth crap today... Well, with the exception of C64 of course. That was one wicked machine
The G4 ain't that old, lol... And besides, have you seen how much a Commodore computer costs today(Including C64 emulator software and built-in games!)???

Behold your wallet imploding...

Commodore Gaming
Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say thank you for the replies. I really do appreciate them. Based upon the suggestions, and what I've been able to glean online, I bought a g4 on ebay. Here's the specs:

The Apple Power Macintosh G4/800 DP (Quicksilver) features dual 800 MHz PowerPC 7450 (G4) processors each with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit, 256k "on chip" level 2 cache, and 2 MB of level 3 backside cache. It shipped configured with 1.25GB of RAM, an 80 GB & 160 GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drives, a 2X DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrive" O/S 10.3 INSTALL. 17" flat screen monitor.

got it for $299 + shipping. I sure hope this works. I'm so tired of trying to record with the crappy little pIII and NTrack system I'm using now. I've got a 2 dvd tutorial set coming too. If anybody sees anything significant about this set up that would cause problems please shout out. I've never even sat down at a Mac before and I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot,

John