Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Can\'t change Sample Rate in session anymore?

Hi gang,

i was recently using PTLE 6.4 with a 001 and i went to the session setup window to change the session's sample rate...it was greyed out. i went to the hardware setup (or is it under 'playback engine' now? well, whichever it's under...) it was also greyed out there.

is this an issue with how i configured my session or is this the way it is now: you're stuck with whatever sample rate you choose at the beginning of a session?

to eliminate the question of why i'd want to do this in the first place, i was changing (or, at least, attempting to) the sample rate from 44.1 to 48k for some vocal overdubs to add texture...something done easily enough before.

any help is appreciated...
Old 06-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Can\'t change Sample Rate in session anymore?

I've only been using ProTools since 5.3, but that's always been the case in my experience. Once the session is created, the sample rate can't be changed without doing a 'save session copy in'.

Changing the sample rate would add texture? How?

Quote:
Hi gang,

i was recently using PTLE 6.4 with a 001 and i went to the session setup window to change the session's sample rate...it was greyed out. i went to the hardware setup (or is it under 'playback engine' now? well, whichever it's under...) it was also greyed out there.

is this an issue with how i configured my session or is this the way it is now: you're stuck with whatever sample rate you choose at the beginning of a session?

to eliminate the question of why i'd want to do this in the first place, i was changing (or, at least, attempting to) the sample rate from 44.1 to 48k for some vocal overdubs to add texture...something done easily enough before.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:44 AM

As tele says, this is nothing new.. this has been the way Pro Tools has been from day one.. you can change the sample rate in the Session Setup Window - however only when there aren't any regions in the session. Once there's a region in the session you have to convert the session uasing File->Save Session Copy In.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi gang,

If you want to add texture to the track, you should double up certain parts by placing the duplicated audio a 64th note ahead, then adding an effect that won't make to much of a difference but its noticeable. Like a pitch shift, or flanger, then again depends what type of song you doing.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:23 AM

Quote:
As tele says, this is nothing new.. this has been the way Pro Tools has been from day one.. you can change the sample rate in the Session Setup Window - however only when there aren't any regions in the session. Once there's a region in the session you have to convert the session uasing File->Save Session Copy In.

Rail
this is simply not true and i've been using since PT3. in fact when using a mix system with a USD (i've only used HD once), the sample rate is continually variable like the varispeed on a tape machine. also, by booting into OS9 and using 5.1.1 i was able to do exactly what i was talking about here this very morning. i just don't want to have to boot into OS9 to perform this relatively simple thing.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:33 AM

The only way to vari (varispeed) the word clock/sample rate in any version of Pro Tools is with a SMPTE Slave Driver, Universal Slave Driver or Sync I/O in the Session Setup Window - that's not an option in LE (or any version of Pro Tools without one of the above). You can varispeed LE using an MDM and through the ADAT or S/PDIF clock however.

My post above is 100% acurate.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The only way to vari (varispeed) the word clock/sample rate in any version of Pro Tools is with a SMPTE Slave Driver, Universal Slave Driver or Sync I/O in the Session Setup Window - that's not an option in LE (or any version of Pro Tools without one of the above). You can varispeed LE using an MDM and through the ADAT or S/PDIF clock however.

My post above is 100% acurate.

Rail
as i said in my reply post, i know you can do vari-speed with a USD. i used a MixPlus w/USD almost every day for several years. i understand that this is not possible in LE without clocking the sample rate externally via lightpipe or s/pdif.

however, one thing i *DO* know is that i can change the sample rate in a session that is very much in progress (with regions, MIDI, crossfades, etc.) on my 001 using PTLE 5.1.1/OS9.2.2 (i grudgingly booted into 9 and did it right after my initial post) and *not* on PTLE 6.4/OS10.3.4.

i just want to know why and if there's anything i can do to restore this ability in 6.4.

i disagreed with your post because you stated that once there were regions in a session you couldn't change the sample rate in the session and that's how it's been with PT "since day one", which is clearly untrue as i can still do it, this very moment, in OS9.

the only reason i wanted to clarify this point is because i want to know for sure if this a new revision of this software function in PTLE or a change based on how your configurations for that particular session (audio file format, etc...) have been made when you created the session. clearly, if you believed that one has never been able to change these settings, you wouldn't be able to help me find out why/when they changed.

i do appreciate your effort though.

my guess here is that if they have purposely taken away this functionality, it is so that they won't get tech support calls from LE users asking why their audio is playing back slightly faster/slower than it's supposed to. a measure of idiot-proofing, if you will.