Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Sansamp PSA -1 VS POD XT PRO

Ok,

I just drove 3hrs out of London to pick up my Sansamp PSA - 1 which I though would blow away my Pod v2. I got home, plugged it in and ......... it sounds [bleep]!!!! Way to much presence and fuzz and just no body. It sounds like I'm playing with an overdriven EMG when I actually play with Duncans. My POD has more body and crunch...I went through all the presets and although i found I could use some for licks and riffs, it's [bleep] for rhythm. Just fuzzy and ummm I dunno...tinny? I'm using a Digi 001...do you think my Pre's are making my sansamp sound crap? My POD sounds fine through it.

Does anyone else agree? whats all the hype with the PSA - 1? My friend has just recorded with David Bottrell and apparently Dave only uses his PSA -1 or his TDM plugin most guitar parts.

Do I want to sell this piece of lard and get a POD XT Pro?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Sansamp PSA -1 VS POD XT PRO

Well I have a Pod Pro (not XT) and a PSA-1.. and I far prefer the sound of the Sansamp when using 1073's.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-05-2004, 03:40 AM

I have the BF PSA-1 plugin and I dig it. You must spend time tweaking it. Small changes to the crunch, buzz etc controls yield noticable changes in tone. Also getting the right balance between the drive and distortion controls is something to look at.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I dig this plug as well. I use it all the time, but mostly just for very small coloring of specific sounds. It is much more apt for rock stuff, maybe that's not the kind of music you make, but I'd stick with it if I were you. Many a guitar track I've run has been gently peppered with crunch from Sansamp. And honestly it's less versatile, but I probably use it more than amplitube.

But it depends on the kind of music you're looking to make. Plus this may all be different if you're talking about a hardware version, which I have no experience with. Good luck!
-Olaf