Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Upgrading from 9 to 10 ... Uninstall 1st ?

i have an mbox mini that came with v9, with free upgrade to 10

the documentation that came with my mbox mini 9 is horrible (as far as installation method)
and that whole ilok registration, dual cards, etc. wow
trying to call is impossible, no basic support tel #'s

i first installed v9
now wanna install v10, which i downloaded (1.6GB)

do i install on top of my PT v 9?
or remove version 9 first? via add/remove, dvd install disk?
and then install v10 (the free upgrade i downloaded from Avid)

anyone Digi Support? thank you
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from 9 to 10 ... Uninstall 1st ?

anyone?
i wanna do the install today and wanna do it right

uninstall 9 first? if so, ctrl panel?, or PT DVD?
or just install 10 on top of 9
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM

It's generally recommended to first uninstall the previous version.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM

I just finished upgrading a 7-seat Windows 7 lab from Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 10. Here are the successful step-by-step instructions:

Upgrading Basic Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7 Systems:

1) First, you must re-authorize your iLok with the version 10 authorizations. For most of us, this means first going to our Avid Account (https://account.avid.com), clicking on the link for "Activate & Download your Product," and then typing in the Activation Code that you got when you paid for the upgrade. When that is complete, Avid automatically sends authorizations to your iLok account. Then you have to log into your iLok account, sync your iLok, and download the new PT10 authorizations to your iLok. Once you activate your upgrade, you will then be able to download the installer for Pro Tools 10 and for the Avid Virtual Instruments for Pro Tools 10 - you'll need both of those. (They take FOREVER to download, FYI.)

2) Once your iLok is updated and your installers are downloaded, plug your iLok into the computer, then begin the upgrade process…

3) Unplug your audio interface. (Might not be necessary, but better safe than sorry. This is what I did, and it worked perfectly for me. You can leave the MIDI keyboard plugged in and turned on - it should be fine.)

4) From Control Panel > Programs, Uninstall Avid Pro Tools 9.x
! Important: Choose the default option to uninstall Pro Tools and the HD Driver (the second bubble in the pop-up window). Don’t uninstall anything else – Just Avid Pro Tools 9.x and the HD driver.

5) Restart when prompted

6) Install the updated driver for your audio interface – You will need to download the most recent driver and install it before you install Pro Tools 10

7) Restart when prompted

8) Install Pro Tools 10 from downloaded installer

9) When installation is done, click “Finish” when prompted

10) Exit Installation when installation is complete (this may take a few seconds - be patient)

11) Install Avid Virtual Instruments from the installer

12) Click “Finish” when prompted

13) Plug in your audio interface. Your authorized iLok should already be plugged in.

14) Launch Pro Tools 10

15) Wait for the registration window to pop up. When it does, choose "I have Upgraded My Pro Tools Software," and then "Exit Registration."

15) Create a new session.

16) Create a stereo instrument track in the session, insert the Xpand!2 plug-in on the track, and wait for Xpand!2 to load.

17) When Xpand!2 loads, you should see a translucent gray window appear over the plug-in window that says “The Factory Content Was Not Found”…

18) Click “Browse”

19) Browse to this file path and select the last folder in the path (the Xpand2 folder): C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Xpand2

20) With the Xpand2 folder selected, choose OK/Finish/Select – or whatever button it gives you to select that path (Sorry - I didn’t write down the name of that button to complete this operation)

21) Now you should have access to all of your Xpand!2 content. Record-arm the track and press a note on the MIDI keyboard, and you should see a signal coming from Xpand.

22) If your MIDI keyboard does not work in Pro Tools 10:
a. Go to Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers
b. Under the “Type” column, click the first “none” box.
c. Wait a second – the first time you do this, it may hang for a minute.
d. From the list that appears, choose the category for your keyboard (I've got an M-Audio oxygen, for example, and here I would choose "M-Audio Keyboard)
e. In the “Receive From” column, go to “Pre-Defined,” and then select the exact name of your MIDI keyboard.
f. Do the same in the “Send To” column.
g. Click OK. Your keyboard is now set up.

Okay. I hope that really helps someone if they haven't already upgraded!

~ Jenny
Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM

Jenny gets a gold star for a great tutorial!! Nicely done(I for one will print that and keep it with my system notes folder)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave