Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Selecting a Windows Laptop for Pro Tools

I thought I'd bring my discussion from a different thread into a new thread that was more specific to the question to perhaps benefit others in the future. (Mods, if this shouldn't be done, please let me know)

In considering which laptop to purchase to run Pro tools, I'm considering this one: https://smile.amazon.com/MSI-Modern-...03&sr=8-1&th=1

Do people think this one will run Pro Tools well? Any possible issues you can foresee?

Some concerns I have are:
  • I see the requirements say I need a "Compatible NVIDIA graphics card", but I can't seem to find if the one in this machine qualifies.
  • I see that Windows 10 version 20H2 is not supported...how can I tell if this machine would come pre-loaded with that version?
  • I see something about iLok, but I'm not very familiar with this. Is this something I need to purchase?

Also, some pricing related questions...
  • Is there any difference between the standard version of Pro Tools and the discounted education version?
  • For the discounted education version, do you need to be enrolled in a music program? Or would any college program work?

Thanks!
-Matt
Old 03-21-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Selecting a Windows Laptop for Pro Tools

I see the requirements say I need a "Compatible NVIDIA graphics card", but I can't seem to find if the one in this machine qualifies. With the laptop you linked to, it seems like a safe bet. This detail is not as crucial as it once was
I see that Windows 10 version 20H2 is not supported...how can I tell if this machine would come pre-loaded with that version? Unsupported doesn't always mean "doesn't work". Somtimes it means its untested and unknown. I am running this version of Windows here without issue.
I see something about iLok, but I'm not very familiar with this. Is this something I need to purchase? While iLok "Cloud" does exist, I do not recommend it. Buy a physical iLok(around $40) to connect to your computer to store your licenses for Pro Tools and many plugins. Creating an iLok account is free, you download and install the iLok Manager software, connect the iLok, register the iLok and whenever you buy software that uses iLok authorization, you give the account name so the company(be it Avid, or Slate or many others), the license will be deposited in your iLok account, and you drag the license onto the iLok. Consider the optional coverage and ZDT(you will need to read up on that so you understand it all). Treat the iLok with care(you DO NOT want to lose it, break it or let it get stolen). COnsider using a short USB cable(often called a "dongle buddy") so the iLok doesn't get bumped and broken(and you don't want to break a USB port either)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2021, 12:28 PM

BTW, any dealer can answer the questions about the educational license(but the software is the same). I see 2 concerns with that particular laptop:
#1-I could not find the speed of the cpu. Faster is better and above 3GHz is where you want to be.
#2-no reviews on that model...........

My usual recommendation is a well-spec'd MacBook Pro if you gotta have a laptop(and I'm a Windows guy).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Hi

Using a HP Omen gaming laptop here. 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD NVIDIA GPU, Intel 6/12 core CPU, 17 inch screen, several usb connectors, separate HDMI.

Main battery failed. Repaired.
The other battery failed. Repaired.
EXTREMELY bad performance from HP here in Sweden. 48 days PC on repair.

Extensive testing using latency monitor (a piece of sw referred to every now and then her on the DUC) shows problematic ACPI driver implementations yielding long IRQ/DPC times, creating audio pops and cracks. ACPI, I believe is found in laptops more often than desktops, with inherent issues. Worst ACPI driver found was "ACPI compliant control method battery". Disabling it was recomended against, but improved cracks- pops- performance a lot. There is an article about control method battery at sweetwater. A workaround that worked fine here (and as it seems to many others), to solve for pops and cracks is to un-check one or two of the lowest enumerated cores in processor affinity (look for more info on other threads)

One of the opitimzations recommended for pro tools, is to disable C-states in BIOS. That is not available on my PC/BIOS.

So if there is a well-speced laptop around with good ACPI implementation, and C-state available in its BIOS, (and not being a HP product if in Sweden) that should be nice. But how to know...

I looked into HP, MSI, Razer for specs not knowing the above. MSI is probably a good choice - my guess. A producer's voice on MSI laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUGzprIHZ9Q

/Fzz
Old 03-22-2021, 01:19 PM

For the iLok question, albee1952, I see you recommend the physical iLok over the Cloud. Why would you recommend against the Cloud? I would see that as a better tool so that I'm not tied to a physical piece of hardware (in case it gets lost/broken).

For the CPU question, I looked it up on Intel's site (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-with-ipu.html) and this specific one shows Max Turbo Frequency of 4.70 GHz, Configurable TDP-up Frequency of 2.80 GHZ and Configurable TDP-down Frequency of 1.20 GHz. Any issues that anyone can see with those numbers working?

Also, if it matters on the type of recording I'm planning, everything will be mic/line inputs from guitars, bass and vocals.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
For the iLok question, albee1952, I see you recommend the physical iLok over the Cloud. Why would you recommend against the Cloud? I would see that as a better tool so that I'm not tied to a physical piece of hardware (in case it gets lost/broken).

For the CPU question, I looked it up on Intel's site (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-with-ipu.html) and this specific one shows Max Turbo Frequency of 4.70 GHz, Configurable TDP-up Frequency of 2.80 GHZ and Configurable TDP-down Frequency of 1.20 GHz. Any issues that anyone can see with those numbers working?

Also, if it matters on the type of recording I'm planning, everything will be mic/line inputs from guitars, bass and vocals.

Thanks!
Why no cloud iLok? Because it's not stable and you're at the mercy of your internet connection. Lose it, even for a second and you can't use PT. When you get your iLok also pay the $30/year for the ZDT (Zero Downtime) insurance. That's so if your iLok breaks you can get replacement licenses to tide you over while iLok tries to recover the licenses after you send them the iLok. There's also the free TLC (theft & loss coverage) - you only have to have your iLok connect to their servers once a month to validate it.

As far as cpu speed and the specs you show - with the cpu being able to throttle down to well under 2 GHz is a no-no. Apparently from what I gather you'd be at the mercy of whatever company builds your computer for cpu speed.

QAPLA!