Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You mean 1994?

Unless you were on Pro Tools 2.5 or earlier, you have never been on Pro Tools without Avid. Just because Avid didn't replace the Digidesign brand with Avid way back then, doesn't mean it wasn't completely under Avid since then. Pro Tools 3 was developed under Avid.
I've actually been using protools since then yes. And digidesign had their own team separate from avid team. Their own support and programmer, etc... avid was video. Digi was it's own separate thing. At some point it was moved i to all under 1 technical umbrella. That's when the issues started.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 01:49 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
So, then what's the sense of being on a support plan anyway?
Good question. I think Avid asked themselves that very thing just before deciding on the cost for a customer to reinstate their subscription after allowing it to lapse. It's intensely $$$$, so if you drop your subscription that's what you have ahead of you. And THAT is why many continue their plans. And because bugs exist and we're hoping they'll get fixed. Further incentive for Avid to keep the software buggy.

It's vulturism, and there are countless pages of complaints, but what can we do besides leave PT altogether?
Old 04-12-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I've actually been using protools since then yes. And digidesign had their own team separate from avid team. Their own support and programmer, etc... avid was video. Digi was it's own separate thing. At some point it was moved i to all under 1 technical umbrella. That's when the issues started.
Digidesign was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:57 PM

As I've pointed out before, there are 8 or 9 people at the top of Avid who get paid $1m+ per annum. It's all very clear from their publicly available accounts (including the names), which I have linked to in the past.

Only one of them appears to be technical.

Judge for yourself whether this is a gravy-train or not. Maybe they all provide massively valuable services to a large corporation.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You mean 1994?

Unless you were on Pro Tools 2.5 or earlier, you have never been on Pro Tools without Avid. Just because Avid didn't replace the Digidesign brand with Avid way back then, doesn't mean it wasn't completely under Avid since then. Pro Tools 3 was developed under Avid.
In hindsight their inability to integrate basic AudioVision features should have been a warning
Old 04-12-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
First, this may have nothing to do with Ukraine. Does anyone here know for a fact that the current project team is located there? There should have been an announcement, if so. I haven't followed Avid corporate announcements over the last couple of years, but the last announcement that I saw (a few years ago) was they had moved the outsourcing to Poland. (Can't remember the previous country.) If they moved it to Ukraine it would be the third (or more) different outsourced group working on the code since the 64-bit version was introduced.

As for the state of PT code, it speaks for itself. You can give engineers the benefit of the doubt, but the final marketed product is simply what it is. No, I don't know who the engineers are or the obstacles they faced. But I've worked on software projects for decades, and even from the outside you can tell the PT code base is a mess, for all the reasons I mentioned. And it's public knowledge that Avid has used at least two different outsourced project teams over the last few years - they've announced it. Moving a codebase between project teams is not ideal.

What you have construed as "punching down" is simply offering the observations of my experience with outsourcing, which is not insignificant. I would call it being realistic. But your comments about me were definitely "punching down" since you know nothing of me or my experience.

No dude. Pointing out that your personal experiences have zero to do with the actual software code, company or software developers being discussed does not constitute 'punching down'.

From the Sibelius forums:

Quote:
It's not often that geopolitics and music notation software collide, but today, sadly, is one of those days. Those of us on the Sibelius development team are disheartened by the attacks on Ukraine today, and it hits close to home for us. Three of our software engineers on the Sibelius team are in Kyiv, plus dozens more across other teams at Avid. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in this chaotic situation. 🇺🇦

--
Justin Tokke, Senior Product Designer at Sibelius
[email protected]

In the past month alone Avid has advertised for some 25 software development positions through parts of Europe. A lot of it is stated as 'remote' work which seems pretty standard today, targeting countries including Spain, Poland and Germany through platforms like LinkedIn. Many specifically mention audio and video software development. Coincidence? I doubt it...

From what I have seen, Avid has been using Globallogic since 2008. Development of various products was originally spread across different companies. A company in China was responsible for ISIS/NEXIS development about a decade ago. It seems any announcement over the last decade or so about new partnerships just reflects Globallogic expanding the contracts they have with Avid. I think today they even handle Avid's customer support.

I don't see a lot of value in what I am paying for the yearly support plan... but it is a significant leap to spin that into speculation about the quality of work of people you've never met.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
As I've pointed out before, there are 8 or 9 people at the top of Avid who get paid $1m+ per annum. It's all very clear from their publicly available accounts (including the names), which I have linked to in the past.

Only one of them appears to be technical.

Judge for yourself whether this is a gravy-train or not. Maybe they all provide massively valuable services to a large corporation.
Pick any publicly traded company. This is not new for the top paid. Rarely are there many technical (unless founders.) This is a dumb metric.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I have first hand knowledge that it was primarily a brand change not so much engineering or marketing. While some people went many stayed including some that are still there.

As a high track count user since those days there have always been issues. Software has always been behind the platform. Weird issues would crop up with any little tweak. If anything it's better now than it was then due to both Avid and the natural evolution of hardware.

It's not uncommon in our circles to use a rig that is a few (at least) versions behind the current version. We typically don't upgrade unless we need one of the new features or lose a system and have to upgrade the OS/hardware. For example a PT12 HD rig that's getting updated to a cheese grater Mac Pro rack mount where it won't run on the current hardware. It needs session compatibility with the remote composers so we upgrade even though the old rig worked well. I'd say for working pros session compatibility is a primary driver of upgrades along with hardware refreshes that require a new OS.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Many years ago, when the annual support plan was released, AVID promised updates every 2-3 months. This was also claimed at ACA
I too recall this "factoid" being bantered as a positive byproduct of the forthcoming annual subscription fee model. I'm sure some internet sleuth could dig up the marketing line and/or hype from that time period.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
I too recall this "factoid" being bantered as a positive byproduct of the forthcoming annual subscription fee model. I'm sure some internet sleuth could dig up the marketing line and/or hype from that time period.

There was a thread right here at the duc at the time of the introduction of the subscription model, where Avid joined the discussion rather vividly (for once).
If anyone has the time or desire to dig through this mammoth I'm sure he'll find some promises that haven't been kept:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364255