Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Please reccomend a good Firewire hard drive case

I currently have an ADS Firewire case but I have not been very happy with it. It is better than the AcamData case I had before it but it is still unreliable with mounting and sometime, it even shuts itself off when I am using it which it unacceptable.
I would prefer one that is fanless but one that would dissipate heat well, maybe an aluminum one. Of course a good Oxford 911 chipset and somewhere around $50 is what I am looking to pay.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Please reccomend a good Firewire hard drive case

OWC sells cases...excellent products and great customer service

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...em=OWCMEFWATA6
Old 10-25-2004, 10:38 AM

Thanks, I am familiart with them. I will have to look into that more.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 AM

I second that, OWC makes great cases - it'll run you more than $50 though. I have 7 of their FW400 enclosures and recently got their dual-bay FW800 enclosure which is fantastic, although it has a fan unlike their normal single-disk cases.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:10 PM

Check these out. I just bought two.
Cheap case. Not one you want to swap drives in and out of. Runs a little warm with my 250gig.
All in all, great value. Buy two for sixty!

oxford 911 case
Old 10-25-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Check these out. I just bought two.
Cheap case. Not one you want to swap drives in and out of. Runs a little warm with my 250gig.
All in all, great value. Buy two for sixty!

oxford 911 case
Have you had them long enough to say that they mount all the time and work reliably? I am not going to run sessions off the drive but I just need something really cheap for two 60GB IDE drives that came from my G4 I just sold.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I am now on here because right in the middle of recording a bass track the drive just shut off. FOrtunatly I was the one recording and not a customer.
I am now beginning to think that my old case was better than this one. It was less reliable mounting but once mounted, it was fine. This ADS case will mount more often but it will shut down for no apparent reason.

Also, my budget is starting to go up now. Not that I have more money to spend but I can't afford not to have one that works reliably.

Have you used your cases from Computer Geeks much yet? I would be intested to know if they work but I want to buy a tested, reliable product this time.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:10 PM

Also, if anyone needs a case for non mission critical applications, I will probably put this one on eBay soon.
It seems to be like a PC, it isn't really broken, just not a very good product.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Have you had them long enough to say that they mount all the time and work reliably? I am not going to run sessions off the drive but I just need something really cheap for two 60GB IDE drives that came from my G4 I just sold.
[Had a customer come through with a Prolific chipset. Crap! Avoid it! Deletes files at random.]

CompGeeks has the oxford 911 chipset, so that part is stable. It has an external power supply (like it or not). It has [1] internal fan. It's the case itself that is cheap. All plastic with metal mounting brackets and plate for the hard drive. I originally got it for the ide-1394 bridge to install in my 2 bay swap (homemade). I have an older chipset that doesn't go over 128 gig. Anywho, the case was cheaper than a raw bridge!

I archived over 230 gig in one sitting with verify on! About ten continuous hours I guess, and some (100 gig) DVD files were 1 gb each. No problem though there was some heat and the smell of new plastic settling. With pro tools I get about 52 tracks on the smaller 160gb drive. Again, a little warm, but not as bad as my archive session. Can record 32 tracks, no problem.

For two drives you could always buy a 2 bay enclosure. They run about $90-$100, but aren't as portable. Or buy one CompGeeks case, pull the bridge, and put in an old rack mount SCSI case with both drives.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 PM

I 'm using OWC's with WD drives and I can't complain.