Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 06:26 AM

Default iLok Dongle vs. Cloud

I have a very basic question: For those of you who go between multiple Macs with your Pro Tools license, do you manage your iLok licenses with a dongle or iLok Cloud?

Here's my situation: I currently have my Pro Tools Studio license and most plugin licenses in my iLok Cloud account. I have just one computer - a Macbook Pro. I'm considering adding an iMac to my home studio. I want to be able to quickly go back and forth between the two computers - my Macbook when I'm teaching at my college or doing remote recording and my new computer for home studio recording. (I understand that I can't run both computers at the same time since I only have one PT license.)

Is the process of switching between computers with iLok Cloud simply logging in to my account on the computer I'm currently using (which I assume will then log me out on the other)? Is it better to just use the dongle and plug in to whichever computer I want to use?

Sorry for the rookie question. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Skip B.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:47 AM

Default Re: iLok Dongle vs. Cloud

It's all personal preference and how stable of an internet connection you have.

I do the same thing switch back and forth between my MBP and my iMac

But I do not to use iLok cloud so can't comment on that procedure

However with the dongle I don't have to do anything with my iLok account I just unplug dongle then plug in
To clarify for example I just unplug it from the iMac USB hub (I use for the convenience of access from the front of the iMac) ,,, and plug it into the MBP (which in my case being an M1 MacBook, also needs a little USB -A to USB-C adaptor) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CV...e8b394c1f&th=1

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-29-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:41 AM

Using Cloud Licensing requires a 100% bulletproof internet connection at all times. While I have used Cloud in emergency cases(studio lost their license) I will stick with a physical iLok whenever possible. Just an opinion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-29-2024, 09:00 AM

Very helpful, guys; thanks for the feedback? I thought everyone was going to advise me to use iCloud. The internet connection is an important factor, however. Most of my recording is done either on campus at the college where I teach or at my home basement studio. However, I have been taking students out to do more remote recording - orchestral and choral work in churches and concert halls. I've been lucky so far with internet connectivity, but I could certainly see how it could be an issue.

Thanks again!

Skip B
Old 02-29-2024, 09:23 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipburz View Post
Very helpful, guys; thanks for the feedback? I thought everyone was going to advise me to use iCloud. The internet connection is an important factor, however. Most of my recording is done either on campus at the college where I teach or at my home basement studio. However, I have been taking students out to do more remote recording - orchestral and choral work in churches and concert halls. I've been lucky so far with internet connectivity, but I could certainly see how it could be an issue.

Thanks again!

Skip B

K Roche and Albee1952 are spot on with their advice.

Have fun remote recording....
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com