Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 05:23 PM

Default How can I record with more than one stereo input?

I've been using Pro Tools version 2021.12.0 for a little while, but have always recorded with Input 1-2. I want to do some live recordings of a four-piece band with separate tracks for each instrument. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 3rd generation audio interface that I have connected by USB to a Windows 11 desktop PC. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Focusrite 8i6 can output more than a stereo pair and I am able to set it for multiple outputs in the Focusrite Control software. I can see the other inputs as available in the track input selection field, but when I select them and arm all tracks to record only a stereo pair seem to have an input signal. I'm thinking maybe it's the USB connection that is limiting it and thought maybe the SPDIF connection might not have that same limitation. My PC does not have any SPDIF input, but it does have open slots in the motherboard for possibly installing another card. I just have not been able to find any info on whether the USB is the limiting factor or if SPDIF would allow for multiple inputs. Or, maybe the connection type isn't the problem at all. Any information and/or help would be very much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2022, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How can I record with more than one stereo input?

Nothing to do with USB or your computer or anything else, this is all you don't know how to use Pro Tools and you need to learn, and the way to do that fast is to use video tutorials to get going.

You need to find a basic tutorial on how to record audio with Pro Tools. DUC is not a place that can give that basic help.

But lets start with why you are recording to a stereo track? You normally would record an instrument or vocalist to a *mono* track.

Also not sure why you are talking about outputting multiple stereo pairs, if you want to record multiple instruments and output that in stereo you just work with one stereo output pair (and usually multiple mono inputs). Pro Tools is an audio mixer that mixes those mono inputs into the stereo output, that's one of the main things a DAW does. If you are only working in stereo the extra outputs typically would get used for providing custom headphone cue mixes to the performers/talent if they want/need that.

Other common mistakes are trying to record instruments like acoustic or electric guitars or basses or acoustic pianos or acoustic drums etc. to an instrument track, nope you record them to an audio track(s). Instrument tracks are for MIDI based virtual instruments. (I'm guessing that's what you are doing wrong? - on an instrument track you will see a track input selector, but nothing will ever get recorded)

You can have many many tracks in Pro Tools. The 8i6 can be used to record up to 6 analog mono signals and 2 S/PDIF mono signals at once. You just select the correct inputs you want to use in the input IO selector on a track.

If what you expect as input IO choices are not showing up in the track input selector...

Make sure you have installed the ASIO driver for your interface from Focusrite and that you are *not* using ASIO4ALL. And that Windows and other apps are also not configured to use the interface, only Pro Tools.

Make sure you have the 8i6 selected as the playback engine in Setup>Playback Engine.

Still don't see the input IO options you expect then on the Setup>IO>Input page select all the IO paths showing and click the Delete then click the Default Button.

The Pro Tools Reference Guide pdf is already installed on your system, you should be reading along with that as you explore stuff, but you need to start b finding free (YourTube) or paid tutorials/online classes (like from Groove3).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-01-2022 at 07:37 PM.