Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Who thinks AVID should sell Pro Tools to some other company???

Sorry for my mood, but I am really pissed.
I've written this in another thread, but I had all I could have.
Please, what is wrong with AVID? Am I wrong???

That's what I wrote. Please, tell me what we can do to have our rights respected. Let's show AVID how they should treat us!!!

Unfortunately I live in Brazil and cannot do much, but I am sure if we all get united we can do something. I don't understand a thing about laws, but I am pretty sure we are being injured by AVID. Imagine if Pro Tools was a car and you were on a trip across the desert. Would you trust a car manufactured by AVID??? Would you trust your life on a car that was made by the same company that is always selling things that don't work as supposed. Imagine if they were working on hospital equipments... Many people would die if things didn't work as supposed. For me music is what I do for living and I know many of you do too. How can we trust a company that always treats us like ****? would you let your heart in the hands of a pacemaker manufactured by AVID? I know I am being radical, but my main software is something I rely on. HOW CAN I ACCEPT IT DOSEN'T WORK AS SUPPOSED????

That's what I wrote in another thread. Please read and let's do something !!!!!!!!!!

Avid seriously lack of transparency with their customers. I've been using Pro tools since God knows when, but I am seriously thinking about moving to another software.
It's funny. For me it seems that Avid thinks they are doing us favours, but they are not. We all bought cars without the engine or missing some parts. They sold us something that never works as supposed.

I love Pro Tools just like everyone else does, but HATE AVID.

If they don't know how to treat their customers, or even if they don't want to, please, sell PRO TOOLS to some other company, please. I keep thinking Pro Tools should be from Universal Audio. That company for sure respects their customers and they really try to do the right thing. Pro Tools only worked when it belonged to Digidesign.

If I was in the US, I would really sue them. I would ask all the money I've put on their junk back with lot's of interest for all the trouble they caused me for so long and for keeping selling things that never works as supposed. Who would sell something that doesn't work??? **** this damn ****.

Unfortunately I have lot's of money invested on their stuff, even more because their **** cannot be used with other softwares. hahahaha. I think I'm done with this ****.

I cannot stand this any longer.

I hate myself for loving Pro Tools so much. They don't deserve the customers they have because they DO NOT respect us.

SELL PRO TOOLS TO SOME OTHER COMPANY PLEASE AND SET US FREE FROM YOU AVID FROM HELL, and focus on the things that really matter to you. Set us free of these endless mistakes you make and the misinformation. Focus on your millionaire hardware for movie and your other piece of ****!

I really hope they have what they deserve and they flunk as others who behaved like them did. I am really pissed this time!

Sorry all that and for taking your time, but I had to share it with you or I would have a heart attack. My bad mood, maybe, who knows. Maybe I am wrong, but I cannot take this any longer.

AVID is a mistake!!!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Who thinks AVID should sell Pro Tools to some other company???

Sorry, tl;dr

But I do agree that it's time for Avid to divest itself of Protools and let it be taken over by a company that will actually carry it forward and care about it.

I think Harman would be the best option.

But they won't, because Protools is a cash cow for Avid. They don't have to put any effort or work into it, and everyone will pay their exorbitant buy in and subscriptions fees.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Avid is great company however the Captain of the ship does not have creative background he has an IT background. The problem with a publicly traded company is the board of directors need to take a hard look at what's going on - 2008 when the current CEO took over an what has happened since. He has had 8 years and should either resign or be fired. Of course this is only my opinion.
Pro Tools 8 - 175 new features total cost $150 - Pro tools 9/10/11/12 combined - 150 new features total upgrade cost $2500.00
I must now prepared to be banned in 3, 2, 1....
Old 10-29-2016, 04:23 PM

They treat me fine. I ask questions, I get timely, helpful, courteous answers. They seem very responsive to major and even minor complaints here. The software works, despite bugs and despite certain features that certain people don't like. They charge what they charge because that's how a free market works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 PM

There is only one way to deal with any company you're not happy with....don't continue giving them your money. That's what I have done.

If and when; either Avid or another company that buys them out put some real value back into their product, I'll open my wallet again.

Until then, I'm getting what I need done in the meantime whilst also trying other options.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Forget about where you make music and concentrate on the music.If you dont like AVID and whats going on... Shell out 199-299 USD and use Logic Pro until Protools turns into something you can abide. Nothing you can't do in Logic, actually you can do more ;-). And that at a price of Buying a Mac Computer and some change.... Other DAws are free....

But they are DAWs - they Sample Music and manipulate sound waves with binary numbers. All sound the same because they dont sound... They calculate ! Thats it.

Days are gone where a computer would die down and crash if you inserted a reverb without having Protools Cards. Concentrate on the Product you make NOT the product you use to make the product.... As of 2016, it really doesnt matter. I'd go as far as to say, that in 99% of all productions, if one can't get it done in Reaper, Logic or Studio One, etc etc etc... One possibly can't get it done at all...

I prefer Protools to mix with and Logic to compose with although I am using latter more often than not to mix with as well, it puts bread on my table and thus I dont find the price expensive... If I was fooling about with music as a hobby making money on something else, Protools would be a no go for me.

AVID needs money to keep developing and as long as folks are willing to or are in fact paying the premium, the will be able to keep their price. If no one buys, they will have to figure out something else... But folks are buying and AVID is selling ;-) So they must be getting it right -.)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
AVID needs money to keep developing and as long as folks are willing to or are in fact paying the premium, the will be able to keep their price. If no one buys, they will have to figure out something else... But folks are buying and AVID is selling ;-) So they must be getting it right -.)
I think the majority of changes we have witnessed in the last month point to precisely the opposite. I don't think Avid is hitting its sales targets, so it has started implementing new ways of making money off users. Selling standalone HD software being one of those changes. Reduced hardware prices another. Avid is getting annihilated on the hardware front. While HDX has its place, it is 2016 and I can buy a 1RU box that does 32 analogue I/O with built in DSP and effects for low latency headphone mixes, and I can plug it straight into a laptop without the need for a big inconvenient dongle like the HD Native TB box.

While Avid's competition is making smaller, more compact, more powerful devices and software capable of outrageous channel counts, Avid's worse enemy still remains Avid. $600USD for a DAW with a 32 I/O limitation in 2016 is A JOKE. $2500 for a Pro Tools HD license that still is limited to 32 channels of I/O unless plugged into the appropriate hardware is just well beyond words.

A decade ago the self-centric, inward looking attitude that Avid had was tolerable because Pro Tools HD genuinely allowed users to do things that weren't possible on any other system. Now it just hangs around like a nasty has-been chip on its shoulder. Just look at what you can do with a nice thunderbolt interface like a UAD Apollo or Antelope Orion Studio or Orion 32+ and a copy of Nuendo 7! Then consider the fact that it can do all that for $1000 less an HD TB + Omni setup. The stuff available on the market now is pretty incredible indeed!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
There is only one way to deal with any company you're not happy with....don't continue giving them your money. That's what I have done.

If and when; either Avid or another company that buys them out put some real value back into their product, I'll open my wallet again.
I agree .
I am Demoing Cubase at the moment , and I also took out a subscription on tuition videos to speed up my learning curve.

Actually I have been amazed so far during this CUBASE tuition and Demo period to discover how advanced Cubase actually is - especially in the way it handles composing / songwriting tasks in a much more intuitive way, and especially super amazed to learn about how Cubase handles MIDI..., and also very happy to discover that projects that repeatedly crashed in Protools 12.6 are now working flawlessly in Cubase with the same plugins applied to them.

I still think Pro Tools has the best workflow and GUI and still hope to mix on it .., if only it wasn't riddled with bugs, but Cubase stumps it for Composing & MIDI (as I am now finding out)

Personally I didn't want to go & waste even more time to learn a new DAW, but Pro Tools has become almost unusable for me with all it's project stopping crashes and errors, which mentally have now taken there toll
Some others may handle the crashes better than I - and can just restart and carry on (and hope that it doesn't happen again anytime too soon) and I envy you guys ..,

.., but for me the crashes DO always happen again soon, and its been painfully constant for over 12 Months now - that these crashes and errors just makes me want to smash my computer screen these days,
.., plus it KILLS every ounce of creativity I may have had, and sometimes even my desire get back in the studio... Each new Pro Tools project now begins with me holding my breath

My plan: is to hope for the best , and plan for the worst ,

....., and this is why I am now learning Cubase (demo).

I will 100% be buying the New upcoming Cubase Pro version 9 release (hopefully it'll be released this early December 2016)

..., and If protools can get their 'shyte together' before my next subscription date is due and create something rock solid and super stable ..., then I will renew my subscription.

(BTW - I care nothing about new features)

..., if not , it'll be a reluctant bye-bye AVID ..,
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 10-29-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 PM

I have just bought myself a copy o Studio One. It's the closest I can get to the Pro Tools workflow and as I tested it before, I think I can somehow get used to it. I have been with Digidesign since Audiomedia 2, session 8 and some other stuff.
I been with Digidesign/Avid since Pro Tools 5 'till 12 HD, but I think I can't take it any longer. I am not thinking only about the daw itself, I am thinking about the way I learned making music. I have always used Pro Tools, but these days I have seen myself in a situation where Pro Tools is making me lose my creations. I have continuously been wasting my time around problems that should never happen in the first place. -9173 error??? COME ON!!! Driver doesn't work, AAX plugins cause more problems than the same plugins in VST or AU. **** this ****. Pro Tools became a waste of my time. The new clip edit thing is a joke with us. Come on, sell Pro Tools to somebody who really cares and let us get back to a software we can rely on.
Yesterday I bought a new Mac Pro with 12 cores, 2 video F700 video cards, 1TB SSD, 64 GB of ram and El Capitan and guess what. Five minutes after start I had 3 or 4 -9173 errors, Plug ins crashing Pro tools and some other problems, so I reinstalled My OS. First tried Yosemite. Had problems. Reformatted again, now with El Capitan and guess what.... Errors again. Funny thing is I tried Studio One with no Errors and Logic X also perfect, but the software I need to work is Pro tools, because ALL MY ****ING HARDWARE ONLY WORKS WITH AVID STUFF. That's why I am pissed off.
I have to work on Monday, but I can't, because AVID doesn't care about me, or you or anyone. Avid only cares about the money.
I've put my old mid 2012 Mac Pro back to work and also had the same errors. How come???
I am not dumb. I have been on the computer thing since the nineties. I think I know a lot about computers and how they should work and behave. I give support to many of my friends because I really know a lot, but, I cannot figure out a way to make my own software and computer work together. lol
It's 2:37am here and I cannot sleep because I have a recording session on Monday and have to learn a new software asap. Funny thing is I have not heard a single word from AVID. If Pro Tools 12 is not released on Monday I will have to work with Studio One, and will have to learn it fast, because I will never do to my clients what Avid does to us. I'd rather tell them I cannot do their work than making them waste their time as I am wasting mine. I would be very ashamed if I was on Avid side. Maybe it's time to find a lawyer to make Avid give all my money back with interest, plus all the time they made me waste with PT11 and 12. Going 11 and 12 was my worst move, but I was really interested in having those features Avid promised but that never came. I spent even more money and could not work.

Congratulations Avid. I really hope Avid dies slowly, and painfully.

Welcome Studio One. I hope I can say good things about you someday. ARA integration and the possibility to run VST and AU makes me smile already. The only counterpart is that ALL my hardware is useless. I have thousands of dollars on AVID hardware and will have to count on my 8 channel Roland sound card to work.

I wish they could feel my pain just for one second. Nothing to smile about, really!

What should I say my client when the computer constantly crashes with they spending their money with me?
I charge for the hour, but if every time Pro Tools crashes I have to restart it, and sometimes I have to reboot because the system keeps playing the audio like a broken CD and Pro Tools refuses to open again.

Damn it! I get even more pissed just by talking about it!
If they have released 12.6.1 already I could at least try to solve my problems, but with all the mystery they make about release dates for more broken software, I think I will not be able to go on with it. Maybe it's really time to look for my rights, and I really think we all should go together.

Good luck guys.

Last edited by Ianduarte; 10-29-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:44 PM

Anyone use Ardour or Harrison Mixbus?

I know Waves uses Ardour as the system base for Waves Tracks Live. And Mixbus looks really cool.

And since Ardour now runs on Windows it looks appealing. Always liked it one Linux, but Linux and Jack were never really ready for prime time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One