Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Default hi! i connected, through midi, my yamaha electronic piano...

...on my brand new mbox2.

i activated 3 channels I/O in pro tools for i want to record on 3 different tracks with 3 different sounds. i tried it out but it keeps giving me the same sound on each track. so i guess i'm missing something but i don't know what!!! i know i can do that so please help me!!!

Jana
Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: hi! i connected, through midi, my yamaha electronic piano...

Hi Jana, welcome to the DUC. Ummm... yeah, there are a few things missing here. Two major points, you'll need to connect the digital piano's MIDI Out to the Mbox 2's MIDI In and then back the other way Mbox 2's MIDI Out to the digital piano's MIDI In. The using either one or two quarter inch Audio cables, connect these to the digital piano's Audio Out to the Mbox 2's Audio Input and switch the Input source to 'Inst'. In Pro Tools match these Inputs in the AUX track's Input selector. Create yourself a MIDI track and select from the MIDI Output selector the Mbox 2. Check MIDI Thru and record arm the MIDI track, also enabling Input Only Monitoring (Green light shown in the Transport). Turn 'Local Off'. If your digital piano supports Performance Mode or of the likes, enable this.

Record your performance, select a Patch on the digital piano and playback.

By the way ...Mac or PC ...and what Model Yamaha?

filosofem
Old 03-29-2007, 04:15 AM

i have a yamaha cvp 220 and i use pc. actually, i've already set it to record a midi track and it works. my problem is that i wanna record another sound on another channel and i don't know how to do that. u see i've already recorded a bass line on one track out from channel 1 and i wanna add an fx track out of channel 2. i've enabled channel 2 on midi studio settings but it keeps using the bass sound for the 'fx' track... so how u do that?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Sorry, but you're still not being clear about what you are trying to do:

Are you trying to record 3 different audio tracks with different sounds

or

Are you trying to record 3 different MIDI tracks that will each trigger a different sound from your yamaha upon playback?

I suspect maybe the MIDI tracks?

If so then you need to select a different patch within ProTools from each MIDI track and have each MIDI track using a different MIDI channel on the yamaha.. Can you change the MIDI patch on your yamaha from ProTools?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Yep, is your Yamaha CVP 220 Multitimbral? This needs to be enabled, consult the Manual (Index).

filosofem
Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 AM

ok thanks guys!
that's exactly what i wanna do. i'm sorry my english is not clear sometimes... is my yamaha multi timbral? i guess so cause it has a double voice function. can it play more than 2 voices at the same time, i don't know... i'm gonna check that out...
thanks for ur help!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
double voice function. can it play more than 2 voices at the same time, i don't know...
Yamaha's use of the term Voice means Patch, meaning (Double Voice Function) - Patch Layered Function (two Patches (Parts) simultaneously). Also don't confuse non-Yamaha term Voice count with Part count, Voice counts on Synthesizers is the number of potential simultaneous Notes played, sustained or released. Part (Timbres) counts however are the number of potential Patches assigned to (in this case) MIDI Channels (16) over one Port.

And just to add a little more confusion some Synthesizers also have 16 Zones per Part. Potentially giving the user a total of 256 Layers over 16 Channels. Now, if you think about this, that's a big Voice count.

A.I.R. Group's - Structure has a Parts count of 128 per Instantiation with a whopping 256 Voice Polyphony.

filosofem