Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 04:15 PM

Default Re: activating ilok license manager via proxy

Like iLok said, I use a 2nd laptop for ILM and then just transfer the iLok back to my music laptop – and I turn on Acronis “Active Protection” when occasionally forced to put my music laptop (briefly) Online.

Even though we want to spend as much time as possible in our (“right-brained”) creative pursuits, we must also master the (“left-brained”) analytical and methodical drudgery demanded by software installation and computer optimizations and troubleshooting.

You’re not alone – I imagine most of us have experienced your frustration, at some time or another!

Here's to better days ahead ...
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 02-17-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Like iLok said, I use a 2nd laptop for ILM and then just transfer the iLok back to my music laptop – and I turn on Acronis “Active Protection” when occasionally forced to put my music laptop (briefly) Online.

Even though we want to spend as much time as possible in our (“right-brained”) creative pursuits, we must also master the (“left-brained”) analytical and methodical drudgery demanded by software installation and computer optimizations and troubleshooting.

You’re not alone – I imagine most of us have experienced your frustration, at some time or another!

Here's to better days ahead ...

John, I know you're right. What frustrates me more than having some issue or other pop up -- I expect that to happen from time to time -- is that 80% of the time I end up with an issue that no one can solve, like this one. Clearly the issue is a known one. And, iLok provides 3 different possible solutions, which probably solve it for, I don't know, 95% of their users. But not me. Oh no, the computer gods have deigned that I must be among the 5% for whom there is no real solution, only workarounds! This isn't the first time this has happened to me. Being the exception to the rules is getting a little wearisome!

Old 02-17-2022, 02:33 PM

My 2nd laptop is my workaround for all online duties like iLok License Manager and Authorizations – and it’s fantastic to use it for BIG downloads, as it lets me keep using my main laptop for music. It’s a drag downing tools when “you’re on a roll”!

As an ancient not-wise-enough-for-my-age person, I occasionally have to get into a bit of “self-patronization” and remind myself: “it’s not the size of the problem that matters, it’s how it affects me that really counts!”

Now you’ve got Internet Explorer on your newly upgraded studio PC and you’ve managed to update your iLok licenses for a couple of your EastWest Composer Cloud subscriptions (and registered the EastWest activation code on your online computer), I know you’re going to have oodles of fun creating some new music!

And that makes it “all worthwhile”!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 02-17-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
My 2nd laptop is my workaround for all online duties like iLok License Manager and Authorizations – and it’s fantastic to use it for BIG downloads, as it lets me keep using my main laptop for music. It’s a drag downing tools when “you’re on a roll”!

As an ancient not-wise-enough-for-my-age person, I occasionally have to get into a bit of “self-patronization” and remind myself: “it’s not the size of the problem that matters, it’s how it affects me that really counts!”

Now you’ve got Internet Explorer on your newly upgraded studio PC and you’ve managed to update your iLok licenses for a couple of your EastWest Composer Cloud subscriptions (and registered the EastWest activation code on your online computer), I know you’re going to have oodles of fun creating some new music!

And that makes it “all worthwhile”!

Oh yes, it is fun. I was in a bit of panic on this project because I needed E-W right then and there to do some things I'd already started using it. Suddenly...no access! But its all good now.

I'll probably follow your pattern and use the laptop for updates etc with iLok.

Once again, thank for all your assistance with this. You're a brick!

Old 03-20-2024, 05:19 PM

I have now similar problems with proxy. I can't acess using it. What can I do? Can be a problem with the proxy I am using?
Old 03-20-2024, 08:06 PM

Sorry – I don’t know…

… but if you have access to another computer on which you can install iLok License Manager and connect your iLok to it for your iLok License Manager tasks – then return your iLok to your main computer – this method is so much easier!

If not, I hope someone else here can help you …
Old 03-22-2024, 07:50 AM

Had a similar issue when I was setting up a software that required internet access, but my main internet connection was down. I had to use a proxy, and like you, I thought I had everything set up right. Turned out, the problem was with the proxy service I was using initially. I ended up finding a Netherlands proxy list online and picked nl-proxy45.example.com on port 443. Switching to this new proxy made all the difference and suddenly, everything started working smoothly, and I could log in and activate my software without any more "internet connection unavailable" errors.

So, it might not just be about enabling the right URLs or ports on your proxy but also ensuring the proxy service itself is reliable.

Last edited by shea; 03-26-2024 at 11:11 AM.