Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Customer base asks to see all info, customer base gets to see all info. It was better when we only saw performance cores, now we do not know what is causing problem, audio processing or gui processing.
Okay, so to be clear - you're saying that the meters used to be useful, but now they are junk and do not give any information whatsoever regarding actual core use? They are a visualisation toy?

Also you are suggesting that actually there's no change in performance at all - that the P cores still only work on audio tasks, and E cores only work on non-audio, and that hasn't changed? In short, there's been no performance changes at all, and we just have toy meters now?

Weird.

I'd be sorta interested to hear someone from Avid explain what is - or isn't - going on.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-11-2024, 12:11 PM

Basically what you said. PT had this same metering in beta, but production releases only showed P-cores. Until now. Be careful what you wish for
Old 03-11-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Basically what you said. PT had this same metering in beta, but production releases only showed P-cores. Until now. Be careful what you wish for
Well how utterly bizarre. Time for some quick tests.

I just put a ton of the heaviest CPU plugins I own into a project - on playback the PT meters were showing the highest at 25% and lowest at around 5%, a fairly even distribution between these values. The Mac's CPU history showed 1 P core at 60%, 3 P cores at 50%, 4 E cores on about 30%.

I then deactivated all those plugins. PT's meters were all showing about 5%. The Mac meters were showing about 40% on one P core and 15% on the others. The E cores were all on about 20%.

Two things to deduce from this rough and ready test.

1. PT's meters are indeed woefully unreliable, but there is a very imperfect correlation to the load.
2. The E cores are doing more in a heavily loaded CPU session, with no plugin GUIs open. So they seem to me be used in some modest way to share processing load.

Well, would love to hear from Avid here.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-11-2024, 04:19 PM

PT 24.3 now supports both performance and efficiency cores (previously only performance). I highly doubt you will perceive a dramatic difference on my M1Ultra system.
The newer machines like M3 especially have more efficiency cores - so yeah that’s why you won’t feel it much.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-12-2024, 04:02 AM

I've only loaded the heaviest processing session I could find with my typical usage. Meters may well be unreliable, but CPU usage was higher on 2024.3 overall.

Maybe this is why Avid rigidly stuck to just using the performance cores for so long. It's a good thing the Silicon Macs are so powerful, so this is not an issue either way for me.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I've only loaded the heaviest processing session I could find with my typical usage. Meters may well be unreliable, but CPU usage was higher on 2024.3 overall.

Maybe this is why Avid rigidly stuck to just using the performance cores for so long. It's a good thing the Silicon Macs are so powerful, so this is not an issue either way for me.
I totally agree. I mean even with ATMOS session. I see very low usages.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 AM

Until we hear something meaningful from Avid, almost everything is suspect at the moment. Janne claims that nothing has changed processing-wise, so any effects we think we see are illusiorary. My own rough and ready tests on the other hand suggests that the E cores are now doing something, but relatively little next to the P cores.

I presume that the Mac's own CPU history is reliable, in which case PT's meters are under-representing what is really going on. But the good news is that so far even on my humble base M2 PT is handling all I throw at it. As long as stuff keeps playing without a hitch, it's all that matters really.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-12-2024, 08:19 AM

Only real proof would be if PT CPU meter would show processing used for audio/video in different color than processing used for GUI and such. But no.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM

64 gb M1 Studio MAX, Ventura…8 cores showing, only using 1-2 % on the average session. Never had a problem in the first place, but wanted to chime in anyway.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
64 gb M1 Studio MAX, Ventura…8 cores showing, only using 1-2 % on the average session. Never had a problem in the first place, but wanted to chime in anyway.
That's my thinking also. I'm not really paying attention to this since I upgraded to my Mac Studio in Nov 2022

G