Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Octopre dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Just digging around a bit ...

Found an (ancient) review of a somewhat different device, the PreSonus Digimax FS. The 3rd paragraph under "Construction" reads: "The sync switch is illuminated by a coloured LED that shows blue for BNC sync or red for ADAT sync.". Here's the review article: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...nus-digimax-fs. Dunno about other units, but my (probably 1st gen) Digimax happily slaves to external ADAT clock, & also sends audio back to master device - all on one optical cord. Go figure.
Maybe my LT is the lowest of the food chain, but it surely clicks if wordclock input is not connected. No reason to argue further, as whenever I need ADATs there are always so many digital boxes proper clocking is mandatory.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
...No reason to argue further...
Of course not! Just a spirited conversation!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-17-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Of course not! Just a spirited conversation!
Yes! And a good reminder that you need to pay attention to clocking if you have more than two boxes.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:52 PM

Lots of good info here. So I tried connecting both 18i20 and the octopre multiple ways (Both units are under a year old). And no luck. All 16 inputs are getting audio signal through meters and monitors, and pro tools is working in conjunction with the 8 ins on the interface.
But it’s still not receiving the 8 from the octopre. I’m assuming it’s an issue with the Scarlett control or PT I/O’s at this point? I had the octopre along with a saffire pro 40 previously and there were no issues with recording all 16 ins.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterblood View Post
Lots of good info here. So I tried connecting both 18i20 and the octopre multiple ways (Both units are under a year old). And no luck. All 16 inputs are getting audio signal through meters and monitors, and pro tools is working in conjunction with the 8 ins on the interface.
But it’s still not receiving the 8 from the octopre. I’m assuming it’s an issue with the Scarlett control or PT I/O’s at this point? I had the octopre along with a saffire pro 40 previously and there were no issues with recording all 16 ins.
Pro Tools, Audio I/O Setup, Input, & hit Default. Do you see all 16?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-17-2021, 11:10 PM

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen user guide:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrit...20Guide_EN.pdf

Page 23:

”Using the ADAT connection

In addition to the eight analogue inputs, the Scarlett 18i20 has two OPTICAL IN ADAT input ports which can provide an additional eight audio inputs at sample rates up to 96 kHz. Note that the optical input is disabled when sample rates of 176.4/192 kHz are in use.

Using a separate 8-channel microphone preamplifier equipped with an ADAT output – such as the Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre – provides a simple and excellent method of expanding the Scarlett 18i20’s input capability.

[picture of how to connect this]

At 44.1/48 kHz, the Scarlett OctoPre’s ADAT OUT 1-8 port is connected to the Scarlett 18i20 OPTICAL IN port marked 48 – 1-8 with a single TOSLINK optical cable. To synchronise the two devices over ADAT, set the clock source of the Scarlett OctoPre to Internal and that of the Scarlett 18i20 (via Focusrite Control) to ADAT. Alternatively, stable clock synchronisation may be achieved by connecting the Scarlett 18i20’s WORD CLOCK OUT to the Scarlett OctoPre’s WORD CLOCK IN and setting the Scarlett OctoPre to use Word Clock as its clock source. In this case, set the Scarlett 18i20’s clock source in Focusrite Control to Internal.

TIP: When interconnecting two digital devices by any method, always ensure that both are set to the same sample rate.

The additional inputs realised by use of the ADAT port may be routed using Focusrite Control in exactly the same manner as the other inputs. The additional inputs can form part of any musician’s headphone mix, as required.”

Presumably, as this isn’t working for you, you a) either have the wrong connections (read page 23 of the User Manual and look at the referred picture for the correct connections) and/or b) the IO Setup in Pro Tools is configured wrong (make sure the 18i20 is selected as your Playback Engine and then, as mentioned before, click the Default button on the Input tab in the IO Setup to clear your current config that isn’t working and make it right for the 18i20).
Old 08-18-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterblood View Post
Do the Focusrite Control app’s meters show activity on the ADAT channels?
* If not, the issue is between the Scarlett and the Octopre, so you should check clocking configuration, cables, Scarlett settings
* If yes, the issue is between Scarlett and Pro Tools, most likely the I/O setup.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 08-18-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I (respectfully) disagree. See the paragraph "Today's ADAT" here: https://pro.focusrite.com/all-about-adat. I've been clocking 2 devices using a single ADAT cable (no BNC) with no issues. To the OP, just try it!
It must noted that link is full of propaganda and misinformation

"ADAT Recorders Were Dependable"

Having owned multiple ADAT XT20s for a number of years I can attest they were anything but reliable

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 08-18-2021, 05:37 AM

Reliable and dependable are however two slightly different things. ADAT in office conditions may have even been reliable, but have you ever recorded outdoor gig? Gosh, what a nightmare...
Old 08-18-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Even if the interface had two-way clocking (which I by the way was not aware) it does not mean that the preamp feeding the interface has it. That is why we have the wordclock i/o, to avoid confusion.
I remember using the BNC wordclock was always favorable for clocking rather than the ADAT itself where the units have the connectors.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6