Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 AM

Default LE and HD on the same machine

I have just bought an HD3 accel system and want to run it on my G5 which has LE already installed and running. Can i run both the HD and the LE system on the same machine so that i can run HD at the studio and LE offsite?
Any insight appreciated
Cheers
Old 07-26-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Re: LE and HD on the same machine

You'll need to either have two system drives, or to partition your one system drive and load OS X and the other PT on it. If you load both versions of PT on the same system drive, they won't play well together, as it were.

Craig
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 AM

I suspected as much, thanks for your help, much appreciated
Trevor
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 AM

The method suggested is certainly the preferred method, but my understanding was that it can be done on the same drive as long as the Pro Tools version is EXACTLY the same for both LE and HD (eg 7.1.1cs7). Perhaps a Digi Admin can chime in and confirm or deny this.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Avid

I must qualify this first by saying that it is NOT SUPPORTED in any way.

The way to do this would be to uninstall LE, but keep a copy of the LE application. Then install HD and, after installation, drag the copy of LE to the same folder as the HD application (MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools). The LE and HD application files must match exactly.

If you update HD, you have to move the LE application outside of the folder or it will be gone after the update. You will also need to update the LE application, but there's no really easy method of doing this, since you can't run the LE updater on a machine that has HD installed.

The best method, by far, is to run 2 different partitions with seperate OS's, one with HD, one with LE.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:40 PM

thanks again for all the help, certainly sounds like dual partitions are the easier way to ensure everything stays operational.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM

There is another thread indicating that LE won't launch or is looking for hardware if it is installed (the user had an HD system and LE was asking for the 192 to be turned on in order to run). I need to know whether I can run 2 partitions with their own OS, and have LE and 6.4.1 Mix run on the same machine. If LE won't run with the Mix hardware installed, this won't work. Can someone confirm whether LE will ignore Mix hardware or not?

I would be running OS10.3.4 with PT TDM 6.4.1 on one partition, and Panther or Tiger with LE/002 on the other.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM

I too am considering having my MIX & LE systems on the same machine for a time. (No AC in the house, only in the Studio!) Will LE ignore the MIX hardware? Anyone doing it? Digi? Best,
Walt
Old 08-01-2006, 03:46 PM

it was i that started the other thread re dual OSX partitions. To date i have had no success getting the LE (002 in my case) partition to start up and ignore the cards. So the end result is that the HD3 system uses the cards and ignores the 002 as a controller, and when starting on the LE partition it needs to see the HD3 cards and interface(192) powered up. In the hardware setup it uses the 192 as the I/O and the 002 as the controller, but doesn't appear to allow you to change things around.
The long and the short of it is that i think i will go for a midi controller like the COmmand 8 which i can then use to drive either system when on an 'away' gig, and use the Control 24 in the studio.
Following this i guess ther's little point having an LE partition given that i will have to take the 192 with me anyway (and that was what i was hoping to avoid), so i may as well just go HD for everything

Trevor
Old 08-01-2006, 04:07 PM

hey
I run both on a Mac laptop for my guitar rigs(big and demo)
Install LE
Then drag the folder to the desktop
then install HD
Works fine
Just don't start Protools from a session icon
Drag the two application icons to the dock and ALWAYS launch from there
B happy