Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Core audio causes kernal panic

So...I'm pretty tired of this problem and I'd love some help getting it solved. Core Audio seems to take over everything audio even though it shouldn't. In my System Prefs under Audio I'm using built in everything...nothing Digi but still I get errors saying Core Audio is in use by another application when I try to launch Pro Tools. I do use CA for Logic but if for example I have iTunes open while using Logic, once I quit logic and try to open Pro Tools, PTs won't launch unless I quit iTunes. If I try to open something else that uses audio ( safari or entourage for example ) it causes a kernal panic. This is a step up from what used to happen. If I used CA in Logic and didn't quit iTunes before quitting logic then I'd get a kernal panic right away. I've tried trashing prefs, I've reinstalled my OS, updated PTs to the most recent version...I can't think of anything else to try. It is driving me crazy. Please help! thanks.

Dual 2.3 G5
4GB Ram
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Core audio causes kernal panic

You actually already answered your own problem. It's itunes. Itunes does not coexist with Protools applications. Never open itunes until you are finished, meaning completely exited out of an application using Digi hardware.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the tip but iTunes was also just an example. I had entourage, safari, quicktime all do the same thing.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Quicktime, Safari and Itunes all use the same driver for sound.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Avid

If you have 'Built-In' selected in your Sound control panel, Core Audio should not launch unless you launch an application (such as Logic) that accesses Core Audio directly (rather than through the Sound control panel).

In the Core Audio Manager preferences, do you have 'auto-quit manager when last client quits' selected?

One thing you can do to make sure you don't get the 'hardware in use' error, is just to make sure Core Audio Manager is quit before launching Pro Tools.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM

DigiTech I have a twist on this same problem -

My System Prefs are set NOT to use the 002 at all, but if any Quicktime Ap is launched on my machine lately, like Safari, or even Mail, but launched BEFORE I start up Logic, then when Digi Core Audio Ap launches for Logic, it shows the 002 unavailable, even though the Core Driver hasn't accessed anything.

This means anytime I want to use the 002, I have to quit all aps, and wait for Logic or PT to load before resuming other aps.

I'm on a Dual 2.3 G5 running 10.4.11