Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 10:51 AM

Default How many TDM Mix Farm Cards do you have? Is it enough?

I have 3 and not near enough power. I am thinking of an expansion chassis and picking up at least one more card.

I'm always in 64 voice and I am plug-in crazy!

No HD here for a long long time. My system is set, all kinks worked out.

How many cards are you using and do you feel it's enough power?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:38 PM

Default Re: How many TDM Mix Farm Cards do you have? Is it enough?

Mark,

Thanks so much! Time Slot!!! WOW!!! I did a search and what a nightmare that can be!

I am now rethinking my plan. Maybe I'd be better off with a new G4 with 4 cards and call it a day.

Any others with ideas?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:00 PM

"I maxxed my system to 7 cards core + 6 farms mainly because of the increased DSP consumption due to the dithered mixer, and the use of many Sony EQ "

I am headding this way, I am 2 cards short of filling my 7 slot chassis.. I feel I need em,, especialy as I am using a lot of Sony Dynamics as well as EQ these days..
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-14-2003, 12:44 AM

I maxxed my system to 7 cards core + 6 farms mainly because of the increased DSP consumption due to the dithered mixer, and the use of many Sony EQ and Waves REN limiter.

But beware of the dreaded Time slot limit. You can run out of those very quick even with a full blown system

But my system was built from the start with that idea in mind (happened faster than expected though), so I had an expansion chassis from the begining

BTW, I advise you to be extremely careful when choosing an expansion chassis : there are some compatibility issues between some brands and certain video capture cards etc. etc.
check, double check and even better, have someone competent do the job. You will save yourself alot of premature grey hairs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]