Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 AM

Default Batch Renaming Bug...

Hey all,

Anybody else experience this? Whenever I use Batch Renaming on files the name takes in PT but not in the Finder. My solution is after I batch rename, I reselect the files in the Clips list, select Rename and then hit enter through all the rename dialog boxes that pop up. That commits the names in the Finder.

Thx,
J.R.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Batch Renaming Bug...

That's how it's always worked. Batch Rename renames the clips, not the files.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-10-2023, 08:30 AM

It would certainly be a nice option to have a checkbox or something in the batch rename dialogue box to rename the files as well.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Hmmm. Didn't realize that. That seems a big oversight in my opinion. I rarely name clips, always files.

Thx for the clarification.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinato View Post
It would certainly be a nice option to have a checkbox or something in the batch rename dialogue box to rename the files as well.
Has been asked over and over again since Avid released batch clip naming.
Avid has ignored us.
And it isn’t an oversight as much as intentionally being left out. The concern was accidentally overwriting files. (Easy fix! Warning dialogue if that is going to happen!)
I would even take a batch “commit clip names to whole files” command. 2 step process but then at least Avid’s worry of accidentally doing it are gone.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:54 AM

Workflow:

File names originally used do not change for originally used files.
Clip names vary from files but relate to filenames.
One three second audio file as a PT clip:
Imagine a clip separation at second 1:00 and second 2:00.
Do you really mean you want 3 additional files created and auto-named?
Nahhhhh

Now 3 clips and one filename. Imagine using batch rename. 3 clips, but ONE file, remember. You get auto-named clips, not 3 separate 1 second files.

Following so far? How is this supposed to work if not how it does??

What I do, intentionally and highly functionally, is simply to Command+Shift+K my selected, batch renamed clips and export to another folder. If needed, I reimport them. If I just need them in PT and I don't need them in Finder, what do I need each clip named in Finder for? If exporting, why sort through a potentially convoluted Audio Files folder? Could use "Bounced Files" or even *gasp* name your own folder. Simple workaround.

Not naming files automatically using clip batch rename makes the most sense. Hands down.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 01-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
One three second audio file as a PT clip:
Imagine a clip separation at second 1:00 and second 2:00.
Do you really mean you want 3 additional files created and auto-named?
No.
Clips aren't always full files but clips can be full files.
No one wants renaming to "create" files.

We want it to work just as file/clip re-naming does but as a batch process. Currently, if you re-name a (single) clip that is a sub-section of a file, the name only goes to the clip. If you re-name a clip that is a complete file, you have the option to rename the whole file in addition to the clip. It's an option selection.

It's a pretty basic concept: do the same thing as renaming does normally but now be able to do it as a batch process. Batch clip renaming does not allow that.

Last edited by BScout; 01-12-2023 at 01:20 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 01-12-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
...Following so far? How is this supposed to work if not how it does??
...Not naming files automatically using clip batch rename makes the most sense. Hands down.
I see no reason why batch renaming can't give you the option to rename *full* clips like a single rename currently does. The workaround is awkward and time consuming.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6