Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Is there a loop recording mode for audio?

Lets say I am looping a four bar section of a song, and practicing the performance to be recorded by letting the loop play several times in a row.

Once I find the groove, is there a way to punch in without stopping the loop, similar to the way it works in midi?

I can't sort out whether this is a loop record function or a quick punch function, or what.

(newbie!)

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Is there a loop recording mode for audio?

Quote:
Lets say I am looping a four bar section of a song, and practicing the performance to be recorded by letting the loop play several times in a row.

Once I find the groove, is there a way to punch in without stopping the loop, similar to the way it works in midi?

I can't sort out whether this is a loop record function or a quick punch function, or what.

(newbie!)

Thanks for any advice.
Hi,

well, i think what you are asking for is quick punch with loop recording? no, it seems to be one or the other.

you can have it in quick punc and loop play till you're ready then punch it, but it stops record at the end of the loop point. at least i haven't found a way round this yet.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

thanks for the answer. i'll give that a shot.

in my old digital performer days, the loop record method would add another audio take or playlist with each addition loop pass once record was initiated.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 AM

Loop Record.

MIDI does not require it, but audio does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Loop Record.
How do you punch in on loop record? if you place PT in recod mode it will start recording straight away, if you start playback you can't punch in without stopping the transport.

The poster wants to have loop playback, jam along for a while, then punch into loop record without stopping.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM

right chris. what you described is what i'm looking to do.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM

As Chris said, I don't think both features in one is possible, but as a workaround:

Use Loop Record. So you record straight away.

If you have looped several times and want to stop the loop and you don't want to keep the recording because there isn't any good material just press Apple+Period (numeric pad) - that stops the playback and discards the recording straight away.

If you have looped several times and stop the loop, but only want to keep the last round. Consolidate the last loop and delete the long loop file.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 AM

good work around solution, i'll start trying that.

thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Use Loop Record. So you record straight away.

If you have looped several times and want to stop the loop and you don't want to keep the recording because there isn't any good material just press Apple+Period (numeric pad) - that stops the playback and discards the recording straight away.

If you have looped several times and stop the loop, but only want to keep the last round. Consolidate the last loop and delete the long loop file.

is there a way to make a new playlist for every loop in loop record? sometimes its hard to hit stop fast enough when you get a good one and you wind up recording over the beginning of your loop.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM

It's currently not possible to automatically place each take into it's own playlist.

It's required to record at least half of the selection for the last take to stay, but if you hit stop too late you can of course just select the previous take.