Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Anyone have Ilok failure?

I've had my Ilok for awhile, but it seems to have died. No light, no detection, Ilok.com can't see it. Anyone else have this experience? Seems like a bit of a minefield to navigate-Ilok.com says one thing, Digidesign says another (On their websites, I haven't spoken with a human being yet...ands it's Fri.) At any rate, If anyone out there has any info/advice, help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Peace-
Todd A.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Anyone have Ilok failure?

Had an Ilok die on me a few weeks ago. After reading all the horror stories on the DUC I figured I better just call Digi and find out what I could do. They had a new Ilok to me in about 24 hours with all my authorizations installed [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . In other words just call tech support and hopefully they'll take care of you like they did for me.
Imdb
Facebook
Old 03-28-2003, 08:03 PM

I've had two die within a year, The one with the HD system has lasted almost a year. Touch Wood...
Here is OZ it took a week to get a new one sent to me, so I hope I do not get another bad one...

When the first one went the mac kept crashing and locking up, I borrowed another mac that did the same. Then I noticed the light had gone out and both macs worked without it..
Old 03-28-2003, 08:12 PM

we lost one this week.

i want to be as charitable as possible, cuz we really like the general setup and have great hope for it moving forward...

...but, Pace really dropped the ball on us. i don't have time to relay the whole story right now (and it wasn't my iLok, so i wasn't doing all the described dealing), but they did NOT take a customer friendly stance at all.

in a nutshell, it was our understanding that the ulitmate record of what you own is on the iLok website, and that the actual iLok is just representing this information to your mac. it ain't that simple...we did have to contact individual manufacturers:

digi was cool. mcdsp was of course cool. bombfactory was marginally not-cool. pace was flat out unreasonable, requiring us to send the replacement iLok back to them because of a mix up that THEY made. the galling fact was that they kept accusing us of the miscommunication...even when the whole chain of events was documented in the emails back and forth. not good guys.

the upshot is that the iLok really is a good concept, but they need to be ready to handle dead iLoks without blinking, cuz these things do die, and we can't afford to be down AT ALL. we believe in owning the software we use, but if they can't get it together... hmmm... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 09:36 PM

Hmmm. some good stories, some not so good. I'm glad to hear that McDSP was cool, as their stuff is critical for me. I expect BF to be problematic. Digi seems reasonable. It IS disturbing to hear that Ilok wasn't all that great. Hopefully they will relax their stance a bit. What was the protocol for returning the Ilok? did you all just FEDEX it to Ilok? Just curious, although its killin me that i gotta wait til Monday.

Thanks for all your help fellas.
-Todd
Old 03-28-2003, 09:42 PM

There has got to be a more professional solution to a crashed ILOK. Can you imagine mixing a major artist record on a deadline and having to mail your ILOK away before you can MIX? C'mon, this is kid's stuff. There must be a better way.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:00 PM

I agree. ilok.com should keep track off all your auths and you should be able to 1) download them at any time to your specific ilok, or 2) download them for any new, replaced ilok that digi or another manufacturer specifies.

we also need to be able to take ilok auth OFF of our iloks, if we need to sell our plugs or transfer one specific plug to another system...
Old 03-29-2003, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Can you imagine mixing a major artist record on a deadline and having to mail your ILOK away before you can MIX?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, we weren't working with a major label artist, but we were working with a major advertising client and they don't like to wait any more than labels. they just go somewhere else.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Chinese:
I've had my Ilok for awhile, but it seems to have died. No light, no detection, Ilok.com can't see it. Anyone else have this experience? Seems like a bit of a minefield to navigate-Ilok.com says one thing, Digidesign says another (On their websites, I haven't spoken with a human being yet...ands it's Fri.) At any rate, If anyone out there has any info/advice, help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Peace-
Todd A.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 03-29-2003, 02:28 PM

Yep I've had the same problem....I'd had the iLok for three whole days before it died. Digi said they couldn't help for 3 weeks as they had to order them in. Pace insisted I send the old one back and took 4 !!!! weeks to send the friggin replacement. It worries me that companies like SonyOxford want to move over to such a system. It's no wonder cracked copies are so popular

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]