Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Workflow Q: FX Field Recording > Pro Tools > FX Database

While most of us have adopted the use of HD Field recorders, Digidesign unveiling newer and newer versions of Pro Tools, and Sound Effects Database software (Soundminer in particular) becoming more and more common amongst us, taskss seem to be getting easier and more efficient than ever. However, one thing stays the same. The workflow hassles associated with getting your recordings from the HDR catalogued the way you'd like.

Currently, my workflow looks a bit like this:

I'm a SD 702 owner and am limited by the number of characters that can be used to name what Sound Devices considers the "Scene and Take Name". My filenames are usually formatted with "Shortened Showname_Amb/Foley/Prop_T#" (Ex. MIB_CARS_T001). Once I've finished in the field, I transfer my files onto my computer, create a copy for editing and preserve my master recordings, and import them into a Pro Tools Session. Seeing how I'm borderline obsessive compulsive, I then edit all of my recordings to be as clean as humanly possible. I've been considering the idea of leaving my vocal slate on the takes, but have always edited them out in the past (I'd be intersted in hearing peoples opinion on this idea).

Once, they're all edited, I then "export selected as files" to an exports folder where they'll then go through the fil renaming process. I wish that someone would create a file renamer plugin or stand alone program to work in conjunction with Pro Tools. The rename tool in Pro Tools is a joke. It has no advanced functions and only numbers sequentially. Once they've all been renamed I catalogue tham into Soundminer and begin adding all the metadata associated with them.

The process sounds simple enough, but, as I'm sure you all know, the time it takes to get through all of these steps is far more time consuming than reading the 3 paragraphs above. If there's a way to further simplify this process, I'd love to your ideas or practices. Compared to guys like Kruse, Maynes, Fairbanks, etc., I'm still a newby when it comes to field recordings and how best to manage them all.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Workflow Q: FX Field Recording > Pro Tools > FX Database

Is it possible for you to do some of your editing/processing right within Soundminer Pro V4 with VST FX, pitch shifting, Metadata editing?

Or possibly something like Peak Pro which would allow you to master each effect, attach Metadata, etc.

I suppose there are a lot of workflows to accomplish this. I too would be interested to hear other possibilities, as the key to having a good sound effects library is to have one that you can organize and retrieve efficiently.

Steve
Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Once, they're all edited, I then "export selected as files" to an exports folder where they'll then go through the fil renaming process. I wish that someone would create a file renamer plugin or stand alone program to work in conjunction with Pro Tools. The rename tool in Pro Tools is a joke. It has no advanced functions and only numbers sequentially. Once they've all been renamed I catalogue tham into Soundminer and begin adding all the metadata associated with them.
i have a 702 and love it, but i don't get so involved with my production process as you. i record in the filed, i bring it in and rename and get to work. so, i am not much help.

but...maybe this app helps you?

A BETTER FINDER RENAME
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-29-2007, 07:46 AM

I use File Buddy for all my batch renaming and general file manipulation stuff.

For Metadata? Take a look at BWAV List Writer.

We aren't using Soundminer yet so can't help there.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 05-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I use File Buddy for all my batch renaming and general file manipulation stuff.

For Metadata? Take a look at BWAV List Writer.
Thanks "C." I'll be sure to take a look at those.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

There are a number of batch file renamers, I use the one mentioned the most but there are others that I have used also. Try Version Tracker for what's currently out there.
My flow is pretty much the same except that I've been using DSP Quatro for slicing and dicing. It's destructive and works with interleaved files so it's a little easier that PT and you can rename as you edit, though I usually rename first since DSP is destructive the file name stays intact. I also have a "working" db in Soundminer so I can do some of the bulk meta data easier. They do sell "meta edit" if your using say SM Le that would help with the meta data entry which is a bit of a pane in Le.