Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Small Profile Speakers for Surround

Hello All.
Let Me first take a moment to thank everyone who has answered questions of mine in the past. I realize that I am not always able to thank you personally on the thread. So Thank YOu.

Once againI call upon the collective to help answer a question for me. We have a small 5.1 EDIT room. It is part QC room (AC3/DTS streams and what not) part for editing/syncing stuff for DVD. We are in the process of re-vamping the room - both cosmetics and technical issues. Unfortunately it is not a very large room (11' x 14'). Granted, it is not a mix room - and it serves its purpose. The problem we have is that the surround speakers are fairly large and stick out from the wall quite a bit. This causes problems when clients come in to review things.

Does anyone know of a good small profile speaker that is capable of outputting between 100 and 105db for use as a surround channel?

I am looking into the flat panel stuff made by NXT but that seems to max out around 90db.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randall
Denver, CO
Old 06-29-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Small Profile Speakers for Surround

Hi Randall,
I've seen and heard (and even touched) those NXT panels during a demnstration. They are impressive from the operation principle and the sound is not bad at all, but I think the technology is not up to professional monitoring or PA purposes yet. Bass is weak unless the panel is huge or a conventional sub is added. Resonances in the low-mids.. On the other hand, I undestand the problematic speakers are the surrounds which stand in the way or are too bulky, but in any case all 5 speakes should be the same model, so putting flat panels for the surround and not the main speakers should be discarded. But still I wonder what's wrong with some mid-sized compact active speakers, like Genelec 8040 or similar? They can be mounted on the walls and are quite slick.
CArles
Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 AM

I did a mix room w/ these for surrounds in an array 4,4,4
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=874

you might want to go 2/2/2 or go w/ the next size up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Thanks,

I'll have to look into the Klipsh speakers. Tone matching is obviously an issue - so if this can't be done, then it cant be done. The NXTs look interesting. Even if we don't use them, I would be interesting in trying to get a demo on them just to check them out. Thank you both

Randall
Denver, CO