Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Power Harness Again?

About 8 months ago I got the digi002 and about a month later, thanks to you guys, I narrowed a problem I had encountered to the infamous power harness. I really couldn't see how that could've fixed my problem, but it did....Well today, in the middle of editing a session, a box came up that said, "Please connect your hardware" in so many words. I was able to save the session before exiting, but now I have nothin' again. It powers up, but with no display and the mute button is stuck on. Could this be the same infamous power harness again??? Thanks for any input.
chuz
Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Power Harness Again?

when my power harness failed, i got these mysterious lines (-- -- -- -- ) across the scribble strips. these seems to check out with a number of other users' harness failures as well, so if this is the case for you....best bet: call digi support asap.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:46 PM

no, I dont even have the lines this time...I can see the lights on behind it, but nada.....
thanks, chuz
Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 PM

go in and clean again. just go inside and take the connectors off and clean both the female and male parts with alcohol. Everything should be fine for another 6-8 months. Or you could just solder the connectors together...i dont think anybody had the balls to do that yet.
AKG c414, Blue Kiwi
Waves Diamond Bundle
My 5 Sexy Ladies(guitars)
Old 08-01-2004, 08:29 PM

just to let you know, when my 002 had these same issues, i found out digi offers 2 options, you can either have them send you a new replacement cable, or you can opt to have a digi certified repair center do it for you

I opted for number 2...and in talking to the nice guy at the repair shop, he said that people who took theirs in to get fixed got their ENTIRE POWER SUPPIES replaced...not just the cable....and from everything I have seen on these many many 002 power harness cable posts....people who opted to fix it themselves often have the issue return, and people who take it in do not because they get the new version of the power supply itself....

my digi 002 has never had one hiccup since I took it in to be repaired over 6 months ago

so, opt for number 2
PT Ultimate
Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM

if they "replaced" your entire power harness with the same exact components as the original (but a "brand new" one i guess) then you'll probably get the same problem again. The original poster had the problem after 8 months after cleaning it or whatever he did to fix it. Give yours another 2 or more months or until the connectors get dirty again.
AKG c414, Blue Kiwi
Waves Diamond Bundle
My 5 Sexy Ladies(guitars)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:55 PM

My Digi MX002 died last Thur with the "Validating..." message and some garbo sometimes and I was worried.

Luckily I still have warranty and because I live 20 minutes from Menlo park, I drive in and dropped the unit off. I picked it up today Monday. Digidesign are so cool with their speed. I had the power harness problem. They replaced the cable along with a new power supply unit.

They also upgraded my unit to rev. F, from my rev. E. Rev E is a fairly new unit. To check your revision, look in the last letter of the serial number... So on some post that said the newer rev A and B has this problem, my rev E also had the same problem. Wish me luck, it's always best to send to Digidesign to let professional fix this then doing on your own.

And I congratulate Digidesign for their great service!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to the great service team!!!! I am impressed not just because of the speed but they treat me who's a nobody that bought one of their millions of unit, like an important customer!!!! And I feel good about that.

Regards,
Daniel...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:57 PM

as far as I was told, it was a slightly redesigned power supply, not just the same old thing.....has worked flawlessly ever since, no reason to think it won't continue that way....and their turnaround was extremely fast.....i've seen a trend in these posts, and many people who have opted to install the cable themselves, seem to have had the problem resurface not much long after.
PT Ultimate
Old 08-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Quote:
as far as I was told, it was a slightly redesigned power supply, not just the same old thing.....has worked flawlessly ever since, no reason to think it won't continue that way....and their turnaround was extremely fast.....i've seen a trend in these posts, and many people who have opted to install the cable themselves, seem to have had the problem resurface not much long after.
Yes, well, I'm on my third. And that's not unusual it seems. And the work was done by the Digi service guys.

I'm sure this has become a bit of a PITA for the good folk at DIGI. It certainly has been for me. But, they have never hesitated to take it back and fix it. I appreciate that.

Best regards,

Haigbabe