Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Only 6 Banks of 4 Presets? (GCP => ER)

I am new to both Ground Control Pro (GCP) and Eleven Rack (ER), and I am setting them up to work with each other. GCP has version 1.01 firmware, and ER has version 2.0.1 firmware. I did INIT MEM on GCP to restore the factory settings. Then I selected 4 PRST/BANK and started programming presets into the banks of GCP.

ER has preset values 1-208. Presets 1-104 are the factory presets, A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, ... Z4, and presets 105-208 are the user programmable presets, a1, a2, a3, a4, b1 ... z4.

GCP can only send preset values 1-128. This means that GCP can only select user programmable presets 105-128 (a1-f4) on ER. This leaves presets 129-208 (g1-z4) in ER unaccessible by GCP.

6 banks of 4 presets is probably plenty for live performance, but I am wondering if there is a way to access presets 129-208 (g1-z4) in ER with GCP? Can a setting in ER be made to allow for this? Maybe change the factory presets to be 105-208, and the user programmable presets to be 1-104? Is there a newer version of firmware for GCP that might help? Is there some other way of setting up GCP that might help? Etc.?

Last edited by tbryanh; 01-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Only 6 Banks of 4 Presets? (GCP => ER)

This is interesting - to me - as I've been contemplating the GCP. My Rocktron Midi Mate is similar, therefore, would like to get something not so limited.

Although, I'm no help in an answer, I wanted to chime in for interest and bump this up in the event another user has this combo and will chime in.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Why not just use the factory presets, then there is no limitation.
The user presets mirror the factory, so use A-Z as your main and a-z as your backup.

With the Standalone Editor, you can always back up what you have and restore it later on if you ever have to do a factory reset.

System Details
Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Why not just use the factory presets, then there is no limitation.
The user presets mirror the factory, so use A-Z as your main and a-z as your backup.

With the Standalone Editor, you can always back up what you have and restore it later on if you ever have to do a factory reset.
I have heard, I think I read it in the ER manual (not completely sure), that the factory presets cannot be permanently altered.

The factory presets are not known for being that good. I find the amp settings in the factory presets to be pretty good, but the presets usually have too many effects, or the effects are set too extreme. They really aren't that useable for live performance.

The factory presets are very good for quickly sampling a large number of presets the ER is capable of. This allows you to get quickly aquainted with ER. Also, copying factory presets to user programmable presets is a good way to get started. Then you can modify the presets and save the changes.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbryanh View Post
I have heard, I think I read it in the ER manual (not completely sure), that the factory presets cannot be permanently altered.

The factory presets are not known for being that good. I find the amp settings in the factory presets to be pretty good, but the presets usually have too many effects, or the effects are set too extreme. They really aren't that useable for live performance.

The factory presets are very good for quickly sampling a large number of presets the ER is capable of. This allows you to get quickly aquainted with ER. Also, copying factory presets to user programmable presets is a good way to get started. Then you can modify the presets and save the changes.
I've been doing it for so long, I forgot that the A-Z banks ARE the user presets and the a-z banks are the factory. So, you will have no issues with the GCP.

This is from Page 19 of the latest 11R manual:

Quote:
Eleven Rack has storage for 208 Rigs. Half of
these are user-editable Rigs, and the other half
are factory preset Rigs. You can also save and
store an unlimited number of your favorite Rigs
as plug-in settings files on your computer.
The 208 Rigs in Eleven Rack are arranged into
two sets of 26 banks, each containing four Rigs.
Each bank is marked with a letter from A to Z,
and a numeral from 1 to 4. Banks with uppercase letters are user banks, and those with lowercase letters are factory banks. For example, the
third preset in user bank D is referred to as “D3.”

System Details
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I've been doing it for so long, I forgot that the A-Z banks ARE the user presets and the a-z banks are the factory. So, you will have no issues with the GCP.

This is from Page 19 of the latest 11R manual:
I will check this out. Sounds good. Newbies can get thing inside out. Hahaha!