Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Well I have to say I am a very happy with the Standalone Editor. It does work very well and Great post by Benoni, I suggest everyone look at it before doing anything and you will save yourself a bunch of time and pain.

AVID has received a ton of negativity from me which is well deserved but I thought I also should voice positive things when they happen to.

I understand it will cost you $99 to get it if you have not upgraded your 11R by now. But now you get the Editor with the upgrade, it's really a no brainer IMHO.

No iLok needed, Now Pro Tools needed Good job AVID!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Quite the thread.

It just all highlights the shortcuts and lack of oversight of detail in the programming of the software. It's not really a standalone app if it only works if you go install other things that this installer didn't think to provide. If software has requirements outside of the program itself, than it is a dependent program not a standalone application. Just because it opens in its own window does not make it standalone. I did the install before Benoni made his threads and he's made it clear and helpful that the license manager should be installed. It provides the requirements in behind this Editor not the Editor itself.

God, I am super happy that Avid is taking this product seriously because it is amazing and too good of a product to be shelved. But we as consumers can't keep covering up the fact that they didn't do their full scope of programming for the situation. I think I remember it was either the Fender FUSE or the ZOOM software that required the .NET framework and that software provided it in the install. That's why some people are bothered....not upset, not flaming, not whining, not anything other than that....just bothered, that there was lack of oversight on the putting together of this installer and editor.

Glad people are successful with it. The community is doing the work the programmers and the instruction writers should have covered.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormstudios View Post
Quite the thread.

It just all highlights the shortcuts and lack of oversight of detail in the programming of the software. It's not really a standalone app if it only works if you go install other things that this installer didn't think to provide. If software has requirements outside of the program itself, than it is a dependent program not a standalone application. Just because it opens in its own window does not make it standalone. I did the install before Benoni made his threads and he's made it clear and helpful that the license manager should be installed. It provides the requirements in behind this Editor not the Editor itself.

God, I am super happy that Avid is taking this product seriously because it is amazing and too good of a product to be shelved. But we as consumers can't keep covering up the fact that they didn't do their full scope of programming for the situation. I think I remember it was either the Fender FUSE or the ZOOM software that required the .NET framework and that software provided it in the install. That's why some people are bothered....not upset, not flaming, not whining, not anything other than that....just bothered, that there was lack of oversight on the putting together of this installer and editor.

Glad people are successful with it. The community is doing the work the programmers and the instruction writers should have covered.
Its 'standalone' in the sense that it doesnt require you to have pro tools running, not 'portable' in the sense it doesnt require any other software at all installed. and it does install the pace software if it is not present on your system. On windows at least.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Well...I've finally been able to get the ERSAE up and running - froze the first time I opened it on both OSX-Mav and Win7 - and all is good. Thanks Team Avid!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothis View Post
Its 'standalone' in the sense that it doesnt require you to have pro tools running, not 'portable' in the sense it doesnt require any other software at all installed. and it does install the pace software if it is not present on your system. On windows at least.
It is a Stand Alone Editor, and as Apothis said, it will indeed install the pace software.
I installed on three pc's (win7 and win8) without issues

The only "quirk" is with the GUI the first time it opens. It goes full screen with the editor in one corner. Let it stay so until it has contact with the 11R, then close and reopen. After that it will open in the correct size (every time)

This is a great addition (of course I knew that it would, nagging about it for 4 years). And I have not tweaked as much sounds as I have the last two days, since waaaay back.
This has brought back "new life" for the 11R, and now I may buy my third (I have one in my studio and one in my home/edit suite). I have earlier said that I will NOT buy a third 11R before there are a Stand Alone Editor present. Now I have no excuses
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM

FWIW. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit.

I was able to download and install it with no problems.

As noted in the notes, there is a problem on first run. After that it has worked flawlessly for me.

It loads in 14 seconds.....I have a spinning disk, not SSD.

I'm very happy.

I really like the 11R. The designers got all of the IO stuff exactly correct (can't say the same about the mboxes - just had to add a little negative dig). I am using it as my primary interface in one room.

Thanks to all involved.

......just wish there was a Digilink connector on the 11R so I could use it with HD.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
What a nightmare!! All of this for an editor! If this is a standalone editor, why does it need Pace? Sorry but I can't help just point out how terrible this make the Eleven Rack look...
Please provide details on the problem you are experiencing and we'll do our best to help.

Eleven Rack Editor uses some of the components/code from Pro Tools 11. So while an iLok/license is not required, it does need the iLok License Manager software installed. This should actually be done by the Eleven Rack Editor installer, but if that is not working properly we need to investigate why. It can be downloaded (free) from https://www.ilok.com/ilm.html
Old 01-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormstudios View Post
Quite the thread.

I don't think it's dramatic as you are painting it.* The installer should be taking care of this, and it seems to be for most. If it isn't working for some we need to look into/fix this.

*edit: Not implying that you aren't entitled to your opinion/perspective. If we didn't meet your expectations then we failed somewhere. Just wanted to point out that this aspect was indeed covered in the work that was done, and if it's not working it's a bug that should be fixed.

Last edited by jeffro; 01-25-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Clarifying...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM

OK I have NO IDEA why but I FINALLY have the editor working, and it works very well. Surprisingly fast response, to my way of thinking anyway.

FWIW - I uninstalled and reinstalled the editor 3 times, the ILM once, and the 11R driver twice.

The first few times that I launched, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, it would minimize to the taskbar after loading the rigs, etc. and stay there. I could not restore the window or exit the editor, I had to crash it to get out of it.

Before the final install, I rebooted twice and ran CCleaner on the registry each time and then reinstalled the editor.

It took a little over a minute and a half after launching but then....SPLASH There it was, and everything works GREAT!!!!

It was puzzling to say the least. I have had ZERO issues running Pro Tools sessions, but the darned editor would not run

Anyway, it is now working and working nicely. Well done Avid!

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Question Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
OK I have NO IDEA why but I FINALLY have the editor working, and it works very well. Surprisingly fast response, to my way of thinking anyway.
FWIW - I uninstalled and reinstalled the editor 3 times, the ILM once, and the 11R driver twice...
Sorry it was such a hassle to install. Glad to hear that it's working well for you now. What version of Windows are you on?