Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Default VCA Fader Level

I am running PTHD 7.2
When I try to assign a VCA fader to a pre existing group, the volume of the VCA fader has no affect on the grouped tracks(if the VCA is turned down all the way you still hear audio) however all other VCA functions work fine. Dose anybody have a clue whats going on??
Old 04-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: VCA Fader Level

you probably aren't routing the buss ins and outs right.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Is Volume Automation Enabled?
v
www.blackbirdstudio.com
www.sputniksound.com
www.vancepowell.com
Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 PM

I later found out that the session originated on a PTLE rig, so I created a new session and imported all the tracks. Now everything is working fine.

thanks for the help
Old 04-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks for this Solved the issue for me from PT 8 LE to PT 9 with CPTK.

Gotta love the instant fix. Cheers
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM

I've seen this bug a couple times coming from LE set-ups. You create a VCA and assign it and everything and it simply doesn't work. Doesn't happen every time. Not sure what causes it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM

I have this problem too and it's extremely annoying. I was making a template two days ago and when I was finished, I found out that the VCA's stopped working. As described before, all functions except the volume work normally. The slave tracks are unlinked (as they should be), but they don't respond to VCA Master's movement at all. It's very unpredictable problem and I don't know what's causing it - everything's working normally and then in some random moment the VCAs break.

I also found an old thread about this issue, but there was no solution... it seems to be a pretty rare problem. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=225367

My groups aren't suspended, the volume level parameter is active. Recreating group and the VCA master track doesn't help. One workaround is to import all session data to a newly created session, but it's not much help if it breaks too in five minutes. This sucks, because I've learned to use VCAs a lot since I got HD and have all my main postproduction templates based on them. I've reinstalled PT about four times now, so this didn't help. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling the entire OS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM

OK, I made some progress. This strange VCA behavior seems to be connected to the automation somehow. When I set any slave track to Auto Off, its VCA Master stops working. When I set it to anything else, the VCA gets back to life immediately. The same goes for the Master Auto Bypass - when engaged, the VCAs stop controlling their slave groups. But I can disable all Auto Enables, includin the Volume and it has no effect on the VCA Masters. What the hell?! I mean, what does the VCA functionality have to do with the automation? Well, a lot, of course, but does it need the automation enabled for its very operation? It seems quite confusing to me.

But anyway, I'm a PT HD beginner, so could please someone tell me if this is a normal behavior or a bug? I sometimes switch all automation off when I start to work on a new project so I can set temporary levels and PT doesn't care about it. I can easily change my workflow to accomodate this, but it gave me some hard time anyway.

And I reinstalled my Mac completely today in a hope for a solution... but I guess that never hurts...

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24