Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Default \"Freezing\" and \"Printing\" tracks... any good tips?

Preparing for a mix and looking to do this to free up some DSP... printing some high-DSP plug-ins (such as AmpFarm and AutoTune) on a track but not others. Wondering if anyone out there has some tips on how to do this in a way that would preserve the tracks' current settings in the Pro Tools Mix Window, and wouldn't necessarily magnify the latency problem. Curious about any of your workflow tips that might save me a little pain in this department. However, I'm prepared to hear that I ask for the impossible! ha... Meanwhile, I'll envy DP and Logic users and submit a feature request for PT...!

Thanks in advance for your time and any information!

M.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: \"Freezing\" and \"Printing\" tracks... any good t

Save the settings for each plug in, and take extensive notes - I usually put em in the track info area. Keep the source material on a track which has 1) no voice assigned to it 2) has the automation set to off 3) has no inputs or outputs 4) is hidden, so you can get back to it if you have to.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM

I would suggest saving the song before bouncing. Next, do a "save as" with a new name (I usually add a number, like "Newsong 1"). After your bounces are in place you can get rid of the plugs, knowing that you can always go back to the earlier version if you really must. You can also save plug settings in your project folder, right?

FWIW, every day I work on a track, the name changes, "Newsong 13", etc. I have had several occasions where this practice saved me.

Best....H
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 PM

What I do in that case is make other tracks inactive so there are no cpu issues during the bounce.
Import and spot the bounce to an adjacent track and phase align.
Then make the former track inactive and reactivate the other tracks and go back to it.
This way your tracks and plug-ins remain in the session for any revisit.

Oh VERRY IMPORTANT:
Bypass any plugs on Aux and Master during the bounce.