Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2002, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Mbox not enougth...

The M Box is pretty obviously the update for the AMIII card/Toolbox bundle. I think for $500 they did a pretty nice job. Mic pres w/ phamtom power? hardware insert on the analog inputs? 2 headphone outs? Way better than the AMIII setup and portable too.

FWFW- I've heard many rumors of a FireWire version of the Dgi001.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-02-2002, 04:35 AM

>"Limitations plus creativity equal solutions."

Nicely said...

Old 03-02-2002, 05:29 AM

I see your point, but the Mbox is a huge product... for the first time, you can affordably get a portable system for editing on the road or at home. Now radio stations are getting more into ProTools for editing instead of using Cool Edit Pro... Home studios are now going to get more into ProTools software with this box. Understand that the market for USB is much bigger than firewire right now (most PC's don't have firewire and I don't even recommend firewire on a PC). Maybe someday Digi will come out with a MOTU 828ish type box, don't know... but I think for what it was designed for, the Mbox is dang cool!! You'd be surprised just how many we've sold already... believe me, I am!

If you need a portable PT system, just get a nice rack with wheels, put your G4 in the rack, put your I/O's and SCSI drives there, and get a case for your monitor to put on tope of the rack when you move... We have (3) PT systems in our studios plus one in a rack that we take everywhere.... waaalaaaa Portable ProTools! ;-) Of course, you can also get a notebook with an expansion chassis and take a rackmount with your notebook too... yet again, Portable ProTools. So I don't see where the Mbox has anything to do with TDM users as a let-down, it's a different type of product... Personally, I think it's a great add-on for TDM users and gets even more new users into the software. Great Job for Digi on this one!
Old 03-02-2002, 06:56 AM

Of course the Mbox is a great product. But i don't think it can compete with other interfaces wich are designed for profesional portable recording like RME or Motu. Recording on laptops is nothing new, and it would be great to have something like the 001 vía firewire with protools 5, not LE. With the Mbox, i can't even record my brother playing drums, (well, a stereo mix but...) you know what I mean.[/LIST]
Old 03-02-2002, 11:18 AM

The biggest thing that the MBox has going for it is the fact that you can use it with ProTools. Let's face it, ProTools still blows away every other Dig workstation out there. Thousands of people use it everyday and now you can take it on the airplane with you and edit while you fly.

Very cool!!
iMac 27"
3.4 GHZ 8 Core i7
8 gigs of ram
003 Factory

Chad Evans
Chief Engineer
Gaither Studios
Owner/Operator Big Mix Productions