Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Computer resources spike only at certain point in mix / song

Anyone ever encounter this?

In a somewhat resource heavy mix, (lots of plug-ins, but not too crazy), upon playback, the mix gets to a certain point in the song and bam, the resource meter jumps way high and stops the playback, saying to increase buffer etc..

Why would it happen only at THAT specific point in the song? I've had it a few times on a few different songs. It always comes to the same point where resources seem to spike.

There's no plug in that activates at that point, I'm pretty sure there's no automation activating at that point or anything that changes. Sometimes, perhaps a new instrument will play, but the track is on for the whole mix anyway.

This happens on Bouncing too, when it gets to that point, it stops and gives me error. (something like conflicting resources, increase buffer size.)

I'm running pt 7.3 on windows xp, 2.53 dell machine. running some ssl plugins, some bomb factory.

Anyway, just curious. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Computer resources spike only at certain point in mix / song

Do you have a ton of edits happening at that point? I'm asking that 'cuz I had a 37-track song that the artist put a nasty pause in (slowed down to wait for the click track to catch back up. Arrrghhhh...) so I figured, no problem, group ALL the tracks, make an edit, slide everything forward. Every time the cursor hit those 37 edits it did exactly what you're describing. I'd recommend going thru each track, highlight all the regions, and do an alt-shift-3 (consolidate region). See if that helps any.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Computer resources spike only at certain point in mix / song

hey,
i'll have to look at it. I'll give that a try. Thanks! if anyone else has any ideas, please post. Thanks again.
doug