Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Why do you like Pro Tools on Windows?

Having run it on BOTH platforms, (started on Windows clear back on v5, and about a year now with a MAC STUDIO M1 Max) it worked equally well either way. In fact, my old Win 10 machine has been repurposed on my dub station with PT Intro.
I’ve always gotten the job done with it. Always. So my own answer; whatever suits you the best. Just don’t take shortcuts on the hardware requirements.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:32 AM

I have a year somewhere in Windows 11 and so far was free Intro. It was all well. Now Artist, I am pleased.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:52 PM

Almost no drama with a Windows or Pro Tools update.

Custom built computers that can be upgraded easily.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-09-2023, 06:03 PM

Lots of great points made already. Mostly, for me. its the cost saving of not paying "Apple tax". Followed by the relatively easy OS updates that don't break everything. I've been on Windows w/Pro Tools since 2003(LE6). I've worked on several Mac setups and was just not blown away, and I guess I am used to the borders as they really don't bother me that much

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-09-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
I am mostly looking for positive posts here. ...
So how is it with Windows? Can you really run about any version of PT over the past decade....
OP

1) You only need to review the posts on DUC to see that Windows users typically don't have to do the Apple Hardware>OS>PT upgrade cycle.

> I can install any version of PT on Win 11 back to PT 12 and have it run OK.

2) You can build your own machine to a spec that suits your applications.

> I built a 13900K system last year with Gen 5 NVME drive support. I can add any number of expansions / upgrades as my needs grow. I typically upgrade my PC every 5 processor versions (3700K>8700K>13900K). Pretty economical and upgrades are significant.

3) On the above system, with MOTU 1248, I can run 64 buffer @ 48K 24/7. I no longer have to change buffer settings when I switch from tracking to mixing ! There are typically 16 audio tracks, 3 Kontakt instances, Omni, CLA SSL strip on all channels, verbs, delays, etc. All vocals and VIs are monitored through PT live.

> I am currently VERY happy with the low latency performance in Win 11 with MOTU ASIO drivers. I had parked my perpetual renewal at 2022.6 because of few meaningful updates for Windows users over the preceding 2 years. I have noticed significantly better low latency performance with 2023.9 (YMMV).

4) I use Eucon control and Euphonix Mix and Control hardware. The software support in Windows has been great for me. I love running ancient hardware controllers (cheap) with up to date software. Very economical.

> I had been running an old Command 8 for many years and the hardware always worked. The modern Euphonix software is much better, so the Command 8 is finally trash.

At the end of the day Win 11 and Mac OS are pretty similar in most important ways - BTW I use iPhone and have an iPAD Pro where I use Logic. Its what you know - I happen to know Windows way better than Mac. Once you are in PT working it's simply a matter of taste as to where the Window controls are. With respect to the single window in PT on Windows, I run 3 monitors: main monitor is a 65" 4K monitor that displays Mix and Edit windows; Monitor 2 is for plugin windows that I need to display all the time; Monitor 3 is for controlling VIs.

Happy on Win 11, PT 2023.9, MOTU 1248, 13900K 64GB .

YMMV. IMHO. eieio.

ejinbc
Old 11-09-2023, 06:56 PM

I used to always point out that Spanner wasn't available on Windows. And might never be.

But Spanner 4.0 is actually now available for Windows. Hooray.

Still no Aux I/O. That and the window thing are big usability differences.