Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 AM

Default Audio Track Limit - What happens when exceeded?

Does ProTools 12 display the number of active Audio tracks anywhere?

I am possibly exceeding the limit, as some audio tracks simply won't sound, as well as some AUX tracks which I thought were limitless (I am separating channels in a virtual drum instrument.) and these too are silent, despite their meters working.

Regarding the silent audio tracks -- they look normal, meters working, etc, but I can not get sound out of them - either via a Buss or directly to the Analog Output 1-2.

Is it expected behaviour that tracks simply won't sound without warning if limits are exceeded, or should I look for another cause? I hav no idea what that might be.

Thanks
Geoff
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Audio Track Limit - What happens when exceeded?

You're dealing with another problem - probably I/O or Playback Engine related. You can always see how many active voices you're using in the System Usage Window. When you exceed the max track count, PT will throw a warning that you've exceeded your maximum and make some tracks inactive.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-12-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Audio Track Limit - What happens when exceeded?

Thanks Rich, you are correct. I found I had some time ago created a VCA channel which some tracks/channels were assigned to, and it was muted. I didn't initially make the connection.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Geoff