How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Default STRIKE -drag/drop MIDI/Audio

Doesn't work.

Simple eh?-press the record button, play a loop, yes its recording I can see it...press stop, click, drag, drop into PT12 ...presto! No audio. MIDI works but plays a load of gobbledigook.

I watched this bloke at Groove 3 do it. I did it the other day in PT 11.3.1 (Win 10) and it worked fine, installed PT 12 now it doesn't work again. Am I doing summat wrong moderator? Can't be any simpler can it?

All links to airaudiotech.com are down also so no chance of getting any updates.

Hmmmm....back to Addictive Drummer 3 then, no problems there [he grumbles pulling out what's left of his hair].

Old 01-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Re: STRIKE -drag/drop MIDI/Audio

OOH!!! HOLD ON MODERWATOR I HAVE CRACKED IT!

TURN OFF ELASTIC AUDIO!!!!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM

ERM... no, reload the project with Elastic audio still disabled, DOESN'T WORK AGAIN, so, enable elastic audio...
WORKS AGAIN!!!

MIDI still records gobbledigook.

Addictive Drummer 3, thankyou for not being such a pain in the ass as every other virtual drummer, must have been designed by GUITARISTS not drummers themselves
Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM

p.s bit of a one-way conversation this is
Old 01-05-2016, 03:17 PM

MIDI Export in Strike 2

Select MIDI (RECORD EXPORT box) - hit red record button - then record a Strike loop (or use the Editor to create your own).

Grab “FULL” first – drag it to the TRACKS list.
“FULL” = Channel 15 (it only plays Strike).
Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK”.

Next press “GM” - grab (the same) MIDI again – drag it to the TRACKS list. Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK".
“GM” = Channel 2 – this is General Midi – you can now add an Instrument Track – add (for example) Addictive Drums (or BOOM or Structure etc) - set Strike Ch.2's output to Addictive Drums etc - then play Addictive Drums etc from the standard GM (Strike 2).

So now your expanded kit can become Strike playing Strike, coupled with Strike also playing the same loop in Addictive Drums etc – see attached image – note the I/O settings.

Or you can have Strike just playing its loop in Addictive Drums etc - without the Strike kit.

Explanation for “plays a load of gobbledigook"
If you Mute Strike Ch.2 – Strike will play recorded MIDI via Ch.15 Whereas, Strike Ch.2 set to channel-15 wouldn't work at all - it would give you all sorts of random notes.

PS – I just tested:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/strike-2#updates
It’s working fine here. Try another Browser (or update your current one).
I had hassles recently which were fixed when I updated Mozilla Firefox to the current version (43.0.3).
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor

Last edited by unkJE; 07-05-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM

thanks bro its late here and I am getting old so I didn't take all that in but I will scrutinise tomorrow see if I have any joy. Thanks for the info about the site too I'll try from my laptop as I have had a few issues with other sites recently since I upgraded to Windows 10.
Chris
Old 01-05-2016, 03:56 PM

I reckon it's worth persevering with Strike - especially now you can import your own drum samples. Good luck!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM

yep I can definitely see the potential with Strike but every time I have come to use it I have immediately run into some silly snag or other and immediately downed tools and gone back to the trusty steed, Addictive Drummer 2 because it just delivers no messing and has great sounding samples...very cool especially for use with an electronic kit.

BFD3 is the same, great sounding drums but not easy to glue 'em together to achieve a cohesive realistic sound I find.

Strike has great creative potentials and it does frustrate me somewhat when it doesn't behave.I shall have to smack its bottom [oops sorry moderwator]

Anyway. Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this; I will get to grips again tomorrow and see if the latest AIR update (just retrieved it using my laptop) will cure some of the silliness. I'll let ya know how I go on, provided my PC remains intact after I start chucking things at it
Old 01-05-2016, 04:59 PM

Didn't realise you were still up!

Here's what I was going to add tomorrow:

Drag & Drop Strike Audio:
Next try recording (try a 4-bar) Audio loop then dragging & dropping it from Strike’s Record Export box to the Tracks List. It will be placed at the start of your session. I place a Marker to indicate where I want it to be – then move it to that spot.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM

As opposed to dragging Audio or MIDI, have you tried “Printing Strike to Audio Tracks”?
This is the method I prefer – as you can have individual Tracks for each kit component, as well as having the Room, OH and Talkback mics on individual Tracks.
If you’re not already familiar with this, you can watch it for free with the 7-Day Free Trial here:

https://premium.production-expert.co...o-tracks/21877