Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 07:35 AM

Default How to create sub-mixes within a session

Can anybody help me with creating sub mixes within a session? My situation is this: I'm recording a demo for my band, and I created multiple tracks for most of the instruments to create some depth in the sound (i.e. close and distanced mics on the guitar amps, double tracked vocals, etc.).

So now its time to mix. Taking the guitar tracks as an example, I've isolated them, and acheived the mix I like between the two tracks, but now when I want to mix this back in to the rest of the recording, I'd like to send this mix to one fader so that I can adjust the overall level as one i, apply effects, pan, etc on one fader, and treat it as one track, not two. The only way I've been able to do this so far is by sending the original two tracks to a new track, re-recording it, and then playing with the recorded mix. The problem with this, other than taking up the additional space, is that if I want to tweak that original mix, I've got to set it up, and record it from the beginning all over again.

I thought that I would just be able to bus it over to a new track, or insert a send on the original tracks, but I get no signal through the new track unless I am recording.

Any advice?

Russ

Pro-Tools 6.4 LE
Windows XP Professional
Digi 002R
Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: How to create sub-mixes within a session

create a new track, choose aux trak. Set the output of your guitar tracks to any bus you like and the input of the new aux track to the same bus - that's it.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Steel City,
Honestly if you are only using 2 guitar tracks I would recommend NOT doing the sub mix thing with them. Just better ability to differ sounds with the single tracks and 2 tracks is not worth the hassle in my mind. I used to do the submix thing a lot with Drums which seemed to make sense. Take all the drum tracks and send the out to a stereo buss and control it that way. Get all your EQ levels set for each track and then have one fader for the mix that you can add EQ and compression to... It was good, but with the CPU power as it is, I find a better separation with keeping the tracks and using the busses for effects and such. I have a band right now that has a total of 8 guitar tracks. technically 4 tracks, but 2 mics on a cab and it sounds great witout the submix. Just not a need really. Get the levels set and then go from there.

Just some things to think about. I am at about 26 tracks with this band and still not using a submix at all and things are good. URS Eq's on each track and Compressors... Sending out to my lexicn and other gear as well as soft verbs and such.. no probs.

Now like he said above: To do a submix, do this:

1. Create a STEREO AUX track and assign it's input to say Analog bus 1 and 2.
2. Take your tracks that you want in this group and make their outputs BUS 1/2 to relate to the track.
3. Now adjust your mix levels on the tracks and the AUX track fader should work as your over all level. Remember to SOLO SAFE that track so if you decide to solo out a guitar track you will still hear it.

Good luck,

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM

Also, I still have some older session templates on my HELP page. You can download then and see I think I did it on them. I need to update them as some stuff has changed alot.

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Simply create and enable a mix group.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try when I get home from work. I think the only thing I was doing wrong was using an audio track instead of an Aux track.

I agree, I like the flexibility of keeping everything seperate, but I still like the option of having that sub-mix fader to control the overall level. Plus, last time we recorded, I started running out of CPU because of the compressors and reverbs I was inserting on almost every track (no outboard gear in my home studio yet). I've probably got upwards of 30 tracks as well, just because I'm putting a close mic on the front of the guitar cabs, and another mic about 6 inches off the open back to get some depth and good lows. Between rhythm, lead, solos, and overdubs, plus 6 drum mics, bass, and several vocal tracks, this has created a lot of active regions. I like the sound I'm getting from it though.

Speaking of the compressor / reverb inserts, and saving CPU overhead, is there a more efficient way to set this up, like bussing tracks to a common aux input with a compressor, rather than applying the plug-in to each individual track? Just looking to save some CPU.

Thanks Again,

Russ
Old 04-15-2005, 09:25 AM

Where is Burke, VA by the way? I'm in Richmond.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 AM

About an hour and 10 minutes North from you. Up in Fairfax. Northern, VA. Right off the beltway.

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-15-2005, 09:48 AM

Burke is in the middle of ( I don't know..the Potomac maybe? )... jejejeje... take 495, go south, take 95, drive about one hour, if you see Kings Dominion go back.... drive around those hills and when you see a house moving up and down, and making the whole neighborhood shake to the bass.. that's DOC's studio.

Now that I think about it...for you in Richmond use the reverse plug in...
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 AM

Sorry Camilo, no hip hop in my house! Middle of nowhere.... Damn Marylander's.... Literally 2 miles off the beltwat (outside) and I am in the sticks. Damn Marylander's!

Seriously though, I am literally 3.5 miles away from George Mason University, 10 miles from Springfield mall, 11 miles from Fair Oaks mall.... Easy access to DC. Need a passport to get over to Maryland's side (but why would I want to go there! ) And have a cozy environment.

Camilo, still waiting for that stuff to help ya with! Gotta meetup sometime man. It has been 2 years! Now that there is a better space, anytime man!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook